Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wierd Saison Krausen in my Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Wierd Saison Krausen in my Starter

I'm not stressed, but more intrigued as I have never used this yeast before. I used White Labs WLP 566, and I did my starter on Monday night. I am mashing right now, but all week I have been watching this starter. The Krausen is like nothing I have seen before. I still have a thin White layer on top of the 2.25 liter starter, with little Crystal like volcanoes coming up from the Krausen. I know that Saison Yeast is Funky, but this is like nothing I have ever seen. I'm going to use it, but I'm just looking for someone that has used this yeast before to give me a little re-enforcement that everything is kewl. Also, the starter wort is clear as day, but the funky Krausen on top remains.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This yeast is Crazy!!! Not 10 Hours after I pitched the slurry from the starter, I have a Blow Off tube filled with Krausen and a very aggresive fermentation. Wow, that was fast.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Bottenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH View Post
I'm not stressed, but more intrigued as I have never used this yeast before. I used White Labs WLP 566, and I did my starter on Monday night. I am mashing right now, but all week I have been watching this starter. The Krausen is like nothing I have seen before. I still have a thin White layer on top of the 2.25 liter starter, with little Crystal like volcanoes coming up from the Krausen. I know that Saison Yeast is Funky, but this is like nothing I have ever seen. I'm going to use it, but I'm just looking for someone that has used this yeast before to give me a little re-enforcement that everything is kewl. Also, the starter wort is clear as day, but the funky Krausen on top remains.
I am watching my Roeselare yeast do the same thing in the fermenter right now. Kinda pissed I am using a bucket and not a carboy to watch the festivities.

Quick Reply