New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why's my yeast bottom fermenting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
tomonners
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why's my yeast bottom fermenting?

I pitched my yeast 3 days ago, its a whitelabs 005 British ale yeast (brand new 1st Generation within its best before date) into a hobgoblin kindathing. I made a decent starter, there was no krausen on the top tho but it was definately goin. After I pitched it, it never really looked like it was going so I just took a reading from it and its down to 1.026 from 1.054, but theres no krausen and you can see the yeast gurgleing away at the bottom of my fermenter. I was sure this yeast was a top fermentor?

Anyone got any ideas????

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

RDWHAHB. you have fermentation be happy.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
dsuarez
Recipes 

Some yeasts produce huge krausens, while some appear to exhibit none at all.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Although Ale and Lager yeast are referred to as top and bottom fermenting. Ale usually has a sizable yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenter during fermentation. The yeast in Ale fermentation is suspended by convection and bubbling from the cake into the wort and krausen. Sometimes there is no krausen but as long as the gravity drops fermentation is proceeding as usual.

Tags
fermentation, yeast cake

Quick Reply