The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why you should take off the blowoff when primary is done

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I always wonder why people put so much Starsan in the blowoff container. You only need enough to keep the end of the tube submerged.
Wrong; you dont need liquid at all. It is pointless.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
munkyhead8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 gallon of liquid. Probably closer to the quarter. I used a bit more than normal because this yeast pushed a lot out and the end kept getting stopped up by the yeast cake in the blowoff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
Wrong; you dont need liquid at all. It is pointless.
The liquid is to prevent excessive air exchange, not contamination. Even with pressure from CO2, some O2 will get in.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I use a blowoff on every batch and generally don't remove it til fermentation is finished.
+1

I do always however, make it a note to remove it and plug the stopper before cold crashing. I've not quite figured out a better way even though there is some "suck in" when I'm done cold crashing and remove the stopper.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 83 batches and counting (as of 6/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
BetterSense
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
The liquid is to prevent excessive air exchange, not contamination. Even with pressure from CO2, some O2 will get in.
So what? You can ferment beer in open containers. I use buckets with the lids places on loosly, or a carboy with some foil over the neck. Fermenting beer is not a process that requires special measures of isolation.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
+1

I do always however, make it a note to remove it and plug the stopper before cold crashing. I've not quite figured out a better way even though there is some "suck in" when I'm done cold crashing and remove the stopper.
Definitely! I son't evenise an airlock when cold crashing. Why bother? Fermentation is done.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Denny - what about oxidation? Why allow finished beer to have exposure to air that isn't necessary? It's take about 60 seconds to sanitize an airlock and put it on there.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
So what? You can ferment beer in open containers. I use buckets with the lids places on loosly, or a carboy with some foil over the neck. Fermenting beer is not a process that requires special measures of isolation.
Depends on the beer. If you're going to consume it relatively fresh, sure. Aging is a different story.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
BetterSense
Recipes 

Correct. And for aging, you also dont need a blowoff tube. Personally, i prefer to do my aging in a sealed keg or in primed bottles where oxygen isnt even in the picture, but if i was going to try some aging in a carboy or bucket, that's about the only use for an airlock.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
Denny - what about oxidation? Why allow finished beer to have exposure to air that isn't necessary? It's take about 60 seconds to sanitize an airlock and put it on there.
The fermenter is sealed at that point. An airlock allowsgasses out, but not in. There's nothg that needs to go out at that point, so sealing the fermenter is all that's needed.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply