The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why not stir the fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #21
afsjoiwejio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Andrewskibrewski - Even inside a fridge I will still have temperature stratification just as if you had a fermenter in a well-ventilated basement at the apropriate temperature. Some kind of convection (stirring inside, or fluid motion outside, or both) is really what I am looking for, as opposed to conduction cooling.

Budzu: Will that solve my non-yeast particles, though, that drop out immediately after the boil for example? I'm not going to re-boil after primary so even cooling rapidly I'm not sure it will have quite the same effect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #22
chickens4life
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsjoiwejio View Post
Andrewskibrewski - Even inside a fridge I will still have temperature stratification just as if you had a fermenter in a well-ventilated basement at the apropriate temperature. Some kind of convection (stirring inside, or fluid motion outside, or both) is really what I am looking for, as opposed to conduction cooling.

Budzu: Will that solve my non-yeast particles, though, that drop out immediately after the boil for example? I'm not going to re-boil after primary so even cooling rapidly I'm not sure it will have quite the same effect.
I think that during active fermentation (the time when temp control is most critical) the yeast do a pretty darn good job of stirring up the wort, so I really don't think you would get much temp stratification, I could see it happening after fermentation, but I don't think it would be to extreme if unless the water/air around the fermenter also has some serious stratification.
Just my two cents.
Chickens

Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #23
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsjoiwejio View Post
I'd think those particles will act the same stirring/stopping as if you did not stir. They should sink pretty fast, usually faster than the yeast. Are you getting alot of trub in the fermenter and trying to find a way to keep it out of the finished beer? I think that's a different issue that this technique doesn't address.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #24
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Stirring high gravity wort increases esters. Stirring low-gravity wort decreases esters.
http://www.draymans.com/articles/arts/18.html

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #25
andrewskibrewski
Recipes 

I just let my sit, I appreciate the knowledge however...I never ever thought about stirring it. Sitting the barrels of beer and keeping it still was what I thought the best idea

Quick Reply