Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why Not to Pitch On Your Yeast Cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #391
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I see. That requires a lot of planning

So you just don't want to reuse the yeast from a really big beer. Like > 1.070? Would you reuse that?
If the 1.070 beer seemed to have a good fermentation, I'd take a chance on reusing it....probably. Depends on if I'm feeling lucky!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #392
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quite interesting reading this thread although I did skip the middle pages of "discussion". Think I'll stick with washing the yeast vs pitching wort onto yeast cake.

Sampled another home brewer's beer a while back and told him it tasted a little soapy. Could pitching onto trub/yeast cake cause this?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #393
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead View Post
Quite interesting reading this thread although I did skip the middle pages of "discussion". Think I'll stick with washing the yeast vs pitching wort onto yeast cake.

Sampled another home brewer's beer a while back and told him it tasted a little soapy. Could pitching onto trub/yeast cake cause this?
More likely attributed to his cleaning/sanitizing methods.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #394
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 64 Posts

So if you pitch a copious amount of yeast (either from a cake or starter), should you then be causing an over pitch scenario by oxigenating that wort at pitch?

I gather the esters are produced in this lag phase during o2 take-up....- is that right?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #395
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I don't think anyone is endorsing pitching on the whole cake (unless it is bred specifically for a HUGE beer or big lager). Overpitching can be a problem.

I Use sanitary water to rins all but about 2 cups of the yeast cake out of the fermenter. Wipe the lip and inside of fermenter with NO RINSE soaked paper towel.

Dump chiled wort on remaining yeast.

Rinse and repeat!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #396
TubaHooah
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default reuse yeast cake from 1gal fermenter

I recently brewed my first all grain (a Rye/Biscuit Ale) using a batch sparge. After collecting my boiling amount I was intrigued by the still somewhat sugary grains left in my Mash Tun. I decided to do an experiment and collected a 1 gallon cold sparge, boiled for about 45 minutes with a fraction of the hops from my recipe, and pitched with about a half packet of US-05 in a 1 gallon carboy. I got a pretty vigorous fermentation and I'm excited to try my "small beer," but this thread has me thinking that I may be able to use the yeast cake from the 1 gallon batch to ferment a new 5 gallon batch. The ratio may be not quite right, but it's more than pitching just 1 vial of liquid yeast.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #397
grndslm
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaHooah View Post
I recently brewed my first all grain (a Rye/Biscuit Ale) using a batch sparge. After collecting my boiling amount I was intrigued by the still somewhat sugary grains left in my Mash Tun. I decided to do an experiment and collected a 1 gallon cold sparge, boiled for about 45 minutes with a fraction of the hops from my recipe, and pitched with about a half packet of US-05 in a 1 gallon carboy. I got a pretty vigorous fermentation and I'm excited to try my "small beer," but this thread has me thinking that I may be able to use the yeast cake from the 1 gallon batch to ferment a new 5 gallon batch. The ratio may be not quite right, but it's more than pitching just 1 vial of liquid yeast.

Any thoughts?
Sure....

Rinse the yeast cake.... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-revisited-318684/

I've done all the work solely on intuition, without hydrometer.
-- Maegnar

+ Yeast Washing Illustrated -- REVISITED!!
+ Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical -- REVISITED

Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #398
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaHooah View Post
I got a pretty vigorous fermentation and I'm excited to try my "small beer," but this thread has me thinking that I may be able to use the yeast cake from the 1 gallon batch to ferment a new 5 gallon batch. The ratio may be not quite right, but it's more than pitching just 1 vial of liquid yeast.

Any thoughts?
Actually, that 1 gallon cake ought to be pretty darn close for a 5 gallon batch. You're much better off maybe slightly over-pitching with that vs. using one vial of liquid yeast with no starter (which is a significant under-pitch)

Unless the 1 gallon batch has a bunch of trub/hops, I'd harvest it into a sanitized jar and pitch the whole thing straight onto the 5 gallon batch. If you're going to wait any more than a few days before use, rinse it.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #399
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm
Or if you intend to repitch the yeast within a week or two, just follow the technique outlined by the OP and save yourself some trouble.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #400
grndslm
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
Or if you intend to repitch the yeast within a week or two, just follow the technique outlined by the OP and save yourself some trouble.
Where's the trouble in rinsing??

Boiling is trouble???

Boil one pot of water with your jar(s) for 5 minutes. Take the bottles out with tongs, screw on lids, put in freezer. Throw that water into the carboy, bucket, or whatever other fermenter you've got.... swirl around, set it at angle so that the trub falls into a corner and will stay there when you get ready to pour the CLEAN yeast out. Leave it for 30 minutes, then pour the liquid into the jars.

We're talking an hour and a half to separate from the trub (hops, dead yeast, etc.). And you can pitch one of those jars immediately if you'd like. No need for the top liquid to become totally clear.

I think what the OP tries to accomplish is estimating how much yeast there is WITHIN the trub. But he thinks calculating yeast count is of the utmost importance???

Uhh... yea.... let's calculate our good yeast without separating from the dead yeast, hops, and other trash.

Good one.

I've done all the work solely on intuition, without hydrometer.
-- Maegnar

+ Yeast Washing Illustrated -- REVISITED!!
+ Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical -- REVISITED

Tags
pitch, pitching, procedure, quality, rate, yeast cake

Quick Reply