Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why are my starters always erupting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Strangelove
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why are my starters always erupting?

Howdy,

I made 2 starters this week. A friend and I are going to split a 10 gallon Tripel. Mr Malty called for a 1L/1 vial starter for 5 gallons. As an experiment I made 1 starter of WPL530 and one of WPL550. Both were made with 200g of light DME and a pinch of yeast nutrient in a 2L erlenmyer flask with a stirrer and a foil cap. Both spewed thick tan yeast all over the outside of the flask and table in about 24 hours. This seems to happen to about 80% of the starters I make.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I just need a 5L flask?

Thanks.

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
jwbeard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You're going for 1.040 with a yeast starter, and by my math (which very well may be wrong), you started with 1.073. That's both a bit intense for yeast (which is going to stress them out, hence the reason you make a starter for big beers in the first place) and going to lead to vociferous fermentation.

DME has a PPG (points per pound per gallon) of 44, you used 200g (or 0.44 pounds), in one liter (or about 1/4 gallon):

OG = (44 * .44 lbs) / (.264 gal) = 73.43
If you measured your OG and it was 1.040, then I'm a moron and there's something else awry. The 2L starter kit I have says to use 1/2 pound of DME, though, so for a 1L kit that would be about 1/4 pound (and be consistent with the math above):

OG = (44 * .25 lbs) / (.264 gal) = 41.64 points
Edit: for the sake of conversion, .25 lbs = 113 grams, if that's how you're measuring it out.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You used twice as much dme as you want to if 200g in 1L was what you did.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Howdy,

I made 2 starters this week. A friend and I are going to split a 10 gallon Tripel. Mr Malty called for a 1L/1 vial starter for 5 gallons. As an experiment I made 1 starter of WPL530 and one of WPL550. Both were made with 200g of light DME and a pinch of yeast nutrient in a 2L erlenmyer flask with a stirrer and a foil cap. Both spewed thick tan yeast all over the outside of the flask and table in about 24 hours. This seems to happen to about 80% of the starters I make.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I just need a 5L flask?

Thanks.
You made 2 starters using 2 separate 2L flasks? And each flask was filled with 2L of wort? I'm confused.

If you are in fact filling a 2L flask almost completely full then that's why you got some blow off. Not enough head space for the foam.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use 2 cups dme for a 2000 ml starter. please let me know if this is not the correct amount. My starters multiply yeast like crazy. They take usually 3 days to fully ferment using a stir plate. I never get boil overs unless for some reason my stir bar gets tossed off. If my stri bar runs from the start of the fermintation till the end i won't get a boil over. BUt if it stops and I try to restart it in the middle of the fermentation it will boil over evey time. I use a 5000 ml flask

Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
You used twice as much dme as you want to if 200g in 1L was what you did.
That simple? Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
You made 2 starters using 2 separate 2L flasks? And each flask was filled with 2L of wort? I'm confused.

If you are in fact filling a 2L flask almost completely full then that's why you got some blow off. Not enough head space for the foam.
I made 2 1-liter starters each in the 2 Liter flask. One I made on Sunday and put into the fridge on Wednesday. The second I made on Wednesday for Sunday pitching.
Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I know that technically that you only need to have the stir bar going fast enough to create a dimple in the surface of the liquid. This keeps the yeast in suspension and keeps the liquid 'turning over' so that it picks up oxygen. Is this optimal though? Do the people driving their starters until the vortex reaches the bottom experience blow offs? Does this drive off the CO2 and keep the yeast from clumping?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-ta-sauraus View Post
I use 2 cups dme for a 2000 ml starter. please let me know if this is not the correct amount. My starters multiply yeast like crazy. They take usually 3 days to fully ferment using a stir plate. I never get boil overs unless for some reason my stir bar gets tossed off. If my stri bar runs from the start of the fermintation till the end i won't get a boil over. BUt if it stops and I try to restart it in the middle of the fermentation it will boil over evey time. I use a 5000 ml flask
Three days is too long for a starter...this is like the 3rd or 4th time i've posted this video...

and how do you have boil overs during fermentation...?
http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Boilover eruption you know what I'm talking about! Same thing just with out the heat.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-ta-sauraus View Post
Boilover eruption you know what I'm talking about! Same thing just with out the heat.
...words have meanings...lol

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Quick Reply