Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why is my brew never as strong as it says on the box?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
malky1841
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Cheers guys for all your help. Hopefully ill get it right next time round

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

A difference in OG of .002 is nothing. It could just be an error in reading, or a few ounces of water more in the wort. No worries.

As far as finishing, many beers don't actually hit the projected FG. That's fine, as long as it is below about 1.020, and no longer changing after at least three days. Than is when it can be packaged. A FG of 1.014 is perfectly fine.

malky1841 Likes This 
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
malky1841
Recipes 

Oh one other thing. I added 80g of spraymalt mixed with cooled boiled water as suggested and the instructions say to leave the barrel at room temp again between 18 degrees & 25 degrees ( quite a large margin I thought) then move to a cooler place for 4 weeks. But how long do I leave it at room temp for the secondary fermentation and carbonation to take effect?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

This is for carbonation in your pressure barrel, right??

Haven't used one so really have no experience and advice regarding the pressure barrel but the process should be the same. Carbonation usually takes about three weeks @ 21 Deg Centigrade for an average gravity beer. Higher gravity beers can take a lot longer. Let it go for three weeks and then check a sample to see if it's carbonated to your preference and, if it is, then store it in a cooler place, or somewhere where it'll be close to serving temperature if you want to start drinking it nearly straight away. If you can resist temptation and chill the beer for another week you'll likely get rewarded with a nicely carbonated beer that retains it's head well and has a good level of carbonation right to the end of the glass.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
malky1841
Recipes 

Yea thats right its for the pressure barrel. Maybe I got a different kind of homebrew kit than most folk on here?. What do you do?, keep it in the fermenting bucket?. Wouldn't it go flat or contaminated?. I've heard loads of folk saying they dont transfer for secondary fermentation. I should really buy a book on the subject but I've no idea where to begin as yet.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #26
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Personally I bottle my homebrew. Three weeks, or thereabouts, in primary, rack to a bottling bucket whilst adding about 400ml of priming solution (sugar) then bottle and leave for about three weeks to carbonate at about 20-24 deg. C. Although I'm drinking a witbier right now(OG 1.042, FG 1.010) that was fully carbonated, or certainly seemed as though it was, after only 8 days.

The majority of people around here tend to just do primary and forget about transferring to secondary unless they are doing fruit additions, oak aging, bulk aging etc. etc. It's also common practice to dry hop in primary for the last week. If you cold crash your primary, for a couple of days after fermentation has wound down, you encourage the yeast to drop out of solution and can get a really clear beer as a result. And yes, I don't think too many of them are familiar with the style of secondary fermenter/pressure barrel you're using. A good number of them are kegging their brews, but that is still not quite the same as your set-up, by the sound of things.

It'd definitely be a good idea to have a read through some of the stuff in the link that bknifefight posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post

Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
malky1841
Recipes 

Yea I read that and its completely different to the instructions on the beer pack I bought. It says to boil the malt extract and water but the beer kit say just to add it to the fermenting bucket and top up to the 5 gallon mark with 5 gallons of water making sure the temp was between 18-25 degrees. It also says to keep it in the bucket for 2 weeks but the instructions say 7 days! ,all very confusing
I'll give the book way of doing a go next time round and see if its any better.
Cheers for everyones help folks, much appreciated

Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
WilliamShakesbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky1841 View Post
Yea I read that and its completely different to the instructions on the beer pack I bought. It says to boil the malt extract and water but the beer kit say just to add it to the fermenting bucket and top up to the 5 gallon mark with 5 gallons of water making sure the temp was between 18-25 degrees. It also says to keep it in the bucket for 2 weeks but the instructions say 7 days! ,all very confusing
I'll give the book way of doing a go next time round and see if its any better.
Cheers for everyones help folks, much appreciated
Been a while since i've brewed extracts, so I can't say for sure whether you should boil yours or not (usually you would, but you may have some no-boil kit or something). I'd definitely boil the water you're topping off with (to kill any bacteria in it), then let it cool covered (you can cool it quickly in an ice bath) and then top off.
As for fermentation - I'd leave it for at least 2 weeks in the bucket.

Quick Reply