Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why dont Wyeast and White Labs put more in?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

When I click on this post, the OP is from Revvy. Did the OP get deleted?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetrueruss View Post
really.. the liquid yeast is cleaner.. the drying process opens a certain level of contamination..
This is such utter Bull**** that has been long disproven. This is one of those 30 year out of date hold overs that noobs just keep repeating over and over with no knowledge of the truth of it. Just what they've "heard."

This is the 21st century, dry yeast is just as free from "contamination" as liguid yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
Packaging and distribution probably cost much more than the yeast.
This may well be true, but packaging and distribution both get more expensive when you double the size as well.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 64

WYeast/White labs recommend pitching one pack warm and then cooling to proper temps. Pitching more yeast cooler makes better beer.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
Somethings went amok.
Yeah, but it made me look crazy psychic in another thread, answering a question before it was asked. Works for me.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
When I click on this post, the OP is from Revvy. Did the OP get deleted?
Now the OP is you! Something is jacked up and posts are showing at the beginning of threads. Happened to me on another thread as well.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
KilhavenBrew
Recipes 

Default Why dont Wyeast and White Labs put more in?

All this talk about US 05 yeast and no starters needed.

I use liquid yeast cause it is one more thing to experiment with in making a new flavored beer. For example, I cannot duplicate the British ale Yeast II flavor from dry yeast.

But the question is, why the heck does Wyeast and White labs only put 100 billion cells in if everyone making a 5 gallon batch requires a starter for more? If we did not have to make a starter, maybe more people would buy the product? Is there a limit on the number of cells you can sell by law? Maybe they cannot fit another 100 Billion in the package? Both those answers make no sense.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

You can pitch either brand of liquid yeast directly into your wort just like you can with the dry yeast. The 100 billion yeast cells is just a guarantee that it won't be less than that. Which is what you need, minimum for a 5 gallon batch (on average) at a beginning sg of 1.060 or less. Everyone uses a starter for their yeast because it takes the reproduction cycle of the yeast and puts if in a different container. By doing that the yeast has already started to form a very large colony any uses the sugar in the wort to produce alcohol instead of more yeast cells. Additionally, fermentation begins sooner and is more vigorous because of the larger volume of yeast pitched into the wort.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No one requires a starter if making a standard gravity beer. Many people choose to make starters (myself included) for standard beers, but its not required.

Additionally, some of the reasons for making a starter are independent of yeast count. I like making a starter to ensure viability and to get the yeast active prior to pitching. I would do this even if I didn't want to increase pitch rate.

A lot of it comes down to cost, I imagine. Right now, you have a $6-7 vial/smackpack of yeast competing with $2-3 dry packets. If it were $12-13 (which it would be if they doubled cell counts, container size, etc), i think a lot more people would pass on liquid and go with dry.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

[QUOTE=KilhavenBrew;2944480But the question is, why the heck does Wyeast and White labs only put 100 billion cells in if everyone making a 5 gallon batch requires a starter for more?[/QUOTE]
Because it would cost more, and reduce their profits (and/or increase the price).
I seem to recall that Wyeast increased the cell count a few years ago, and the cost of the larger packs also increased. According to MrMalty, White Labs also increased the cell count some years ago.
Also, they have no control over what happens to the yeast after they ship it. The number of viable cells decrease with time, and even if they doubled the cell count, it still wouldn't be enough after a few months storage.
I think most people who use liquid yeast re-use it multiple times, and if you harvest and wash the yeast, you usually need to make a starter. I don't see any problems with making a starter for the first batch as well, but I wouldn't like to see the price go up.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply