Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > why don't we worry about autolyzed yeast in bottle-conditioned beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
JesperX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 34 Posts

As I understand it, a lot of the autolysis fear came from less healthy yeast decades and decades ago combined with pro brewers use of taller, narrower cylindrical fermenters which, in those batch sizes, can exert way more pressure on the yeast causing it to autolyze easier.

Primary: American Brown Ale
Kegged: American Pale Ale V2

On Deck: American Pale Ale V3
Brown Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
madhatt3r
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

"As I understand it, a lot of the autolysis fear came from less healthy yeast decades and decades ago combined with pro brewers use of taller, narrower cylindrical fermenters which, in those batch sizes, can exert way more pressure on the yeast causing it to autolyze easier."

^This

Pressure is the number one influence on a yeast cake that will cause those little cell walls to burst and release their vitamin-b flavored evilness into your beer. The increased age of the yeast only enhances pressures ability to burst 'em by making them more fragile. On a homebrew scale, there's really not enough volume in a fermenter to exert the pressures needed to cause massive autolysis.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I've experienced it once. In a fermenter that sat. uncleaned, on the back porch, in the sun, for four months.

It really does smell bad.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply