Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > why don't we worry about autolyzed yeast in bottle-conditioned beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
twd000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default why don't we worry about autolyzed yeast in bottle-conditioned beer?

One of the reasons people give for racking to secondary is to prevent sitting on a yeast cake for many weeks. Why don't we worry about this in bottle-conditioned beers which can sit on residual yeast for months?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4628 Times on 4311 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Because autolysis is not as prevalent as we homebrewers tend to obsess about. Sure, it happens but tends to take either some extreme conditions or more time than we give credit for.

Fact is, some brewer read about autolysis, took it out of context, had a flaw that resembled the character, and set a fire under that witches brew.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 I think most homebrewers now are going longer in the primary and forgoing the secondary. A lot of recent research and opinion by John Palmer, etc discuss that autolysis is really not the problem it was made out to be in the mid 90s.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Because autolysis is not as prevalent as we homebrewers tend to obsess about. Sure, it happens but tends to take either some extreme conditions or more time than we give credit for.

Fact is, some brewer read about autolysis, took it out of context, had a flaw that resembled the character, and set a fire under that witches brew.
Yup...and as gila we don't worry about autolysis any more in our fermenters, so we worry even less about it in our bottles...Having un autolysed bottle conditioned beer ALONE should be proof that the idea of autolysis isn't as big a concern as it was 30 years ago when yeast was less healthy than it is now.

The consciousness has changed, even the very same authors who cautioned against it are changing their tune in the light of the fact that yeast is healthier and better than it used to be.

Quite the contrary, there's been a shift in brewing culture over the last 5 years, now it is realized that rather than causing off flavors, prolonged yeast contact may actually clean up off flavors. Because if we don't rush our yeast off the yeast cake, the yeast has the opportunity to actually clean up after itself. Many many many brewers skip secondary altogehter and opt instead for a month long primary. I've been doing this for 5 years, and have never had an off flavor, just the opposite, i've been winning awards for my beers.

I just bottles a beer that was 5.5 months in primary, and was beautiful.

People have successfully left there beers in primary for a year with no signs of the dreaded boogeyman.

This is the most discussed topic on here, there's plenty of info. CURRENT INFO

I primary all my beers a minimum of a month minimum.

Read this....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sec...-weigh-176837/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

AmandaK Likes This 
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

You also don't really have a "cake" in your bottle-conditioned beers. When a beer is sitting in primary, there's a much higher ratio of yeast-to-beer than there is, the tiny amount of yeast that settles out in the bottom of the bottle.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There's also a whole bunch of trub and hop material to go bad (spoil) in the primary...not that it always does.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
skyking1488
Recipes 

check thish out www.draymans.com/articles/arts/16.html i do lov making beer, look @ lodon alot of dies back in the 19 but the people still live from the beer. its on the media, there was a show about that on tv shows. p.s had a few but still the same of home brew.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I primary all my beers a minimum of a month minimum.
Personally, I minimally primary all my beers for a minimum of a month minimum.

I kid, but seriously... I usually do 3-4 weeks in the primary before I bottle. My sours are left in the primary for sometimes years and there must be no autolysis in them, because they've won trophies. So there's that.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
electrolight Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yup...and as gila we don't worry about autolysis any more in our fermenters, so we worry even less about it in our bottles...Having un autolysed bottle conditioned beer ALONE should be proof that the idea of autolysis isn't as big a concern as it was 30 years ago when yeast was less healthy than it is now.
As so well stated above, todays yeasts along with improved homebrewing techniques and modern equipment have taken the skunk out of hombrew that was pretty common way back in the days of bakers yeast and stoneware crocks.

bosco
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
barleyboy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1488
check thish out www.draymans.com/articles/arts/16.html i do lov making beer, look @ lodon alot of dies back in the 19 but the people still live from the beer. its on the media, there was a show about that on tv shows. p.s had a few but still the same of home brew.
Huh?

Quick Reply