Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why do people continue to try and cold ferment ale yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
NCBeernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I think it is almost impossible to compare fermenting temperatures of a home brewer to that of a commercial operation. Too many factors like size of fermenter, geometry, yeast pitching rates, etc. go into the mix. So Rogues 60F might give different results than our 60F.
Exactly. In the context of homebrewing, it doesn't matter a bit what Rogue does Revvy...plus, overall, their beer isn't world class IMO anyways.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #22
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

OH BOY. The 'Yeast Police'. I had a batch with WP400 drop to 50F. When I saw the yeast didn't drop out I left it that way. Did the second batch ONLY at that temp. The second batch was noticeably better. So now you tell me I'm not allowed to do that anymore? Yeah, right.......

Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #23
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
OH BOY. The 'Yeast Police'. I had a batch with WP400 drop to 50F. When I saw the yeast didn't drop out I left it that way. Did the second batch ONLY at that temp. The second batch was noticeably better. So now you tell me I'm not allowed to do that anymore? Yeah, right.......
I didn't say anybody was not allowed to do anything. I was simply wondering why people seem fascinated with cold fermenting with ale yeast. Basically, I am trying to say that I (just my opinion here, not telling you what to do) think it is better for me(just me, nobody else) to ferment my beers in the 65-70 degree range with the yeast strains that I mentioned (WLP400 was not mentioned).

Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I don't think general statements like 'slower fermentations' or 'longer lag times' being necessarily bad are correct. Relative to what? You typically don't want the yeast going total gangbusters...you want it slower than that. And a lag time of 24 hours vs. 6 or whatever isn't really that big of a deal imo.
I agree. I've never understood this need to "rush" the process. This isn't a race, it's a natural process. Is it a youth thing? "Grain to glass in a week" is not my goal. Making and drinking great beer is the goal. If it takes a month, 6 months, a year, fine. That's what a pipeline is for. I'm never without beer to drink, and soon to be ready to drink. And if for some reason I am, and I don't having anything, or nothing's ready, I don't compromise that, I go but some beer. And use that rare gap in pipeline to broaden my tasting horizons by trying new things. That's how I've expanded my pallet for more beers to brew, by drinking more beers.

Maybe I'm just old......I'm not part of the instant gratification generation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

fredthecat Likes This 
Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I ferment all of my ales on the cooler range (especially pacman and nottingham), and I'm one of those who must have a slower fermentation, potential underattenuation, diacteyl laden, crappy beer I guess. all because I think I'm going to get a "cleaner" beer. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly homebrewer. If you're getting great results at 70 and can criticize my techniques, then I must be wrong. Good thing you'll never have to drink my pathetic attempts at ales.
wasn't critisizing, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #26
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
wasn't critisizing, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
Quote:
..... if you want lager beer, get lager yeast and temperature control.
Sure didn't come off that way.

Sounds like, "my way or the highway."

Old 08-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #27
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It really depends on the yeast and what you want to get out of a beer. I use various fermentation temperature profiles, but usually I start the ferment cool and let it ramp up after 4-5 days to ambient. The beers come out excellent that way and don't usually need any aging (unless we are talking high gravity beers). Brewday to finished product in about 3 weeks is what I shoot for in many of my <12 plato beers.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 08-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #28
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Sure didn't come off that way.

Sounds like, "my way or the highway."
How I read it, too.

This place has really been kind of bitchy, lately. Sucks.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #29
permo
Recipes 

Didn't mean it to come off that way.......everybody is a little on edge recently and quick to "snap" so to speak. I wasn't trying to tell anybody what to do, I was just venting a little I guess or trying to understand it anyways.....so many questions and posts about how cool you can ferment a certain yeast strain. No big deal. I will go ahead and apologize.........I should not have made generalized statements and suggestions because different techniques work for different brewers and so on. No one temp is always correct, no single mash temp is always correct..etc..etc..etc..

Maybe I am just jealous, my basement is 65 or so this time of year, and i have no ferm fridge, so I have no choice but to ferment warm!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #30
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:

My experience, with both pacman and WLP029, is that you will get your cleanest beers between 65-70 degrees, with plenty of nutrient, O2 and plenty of healthy yeast from a proper starter. Make the yeast happy and they will give you clean, crisp beers..... if you want lager beer, get lager yeast and temperature control.
I have been using 029 a lot lately and I've noticed that if it gets above 70, it makes a fruity beer. I pitch a nice 1L starter at 68-70, then lower the temp over two days to around 65 for fermentation. Ferm definitely takes a day or two longer at this temp, but it clearly benefits the end result. Once bottled, this yeast continues to condition nicely in the fridge as well. Whereas most other top fermenters seem to go dormant at cold temps, the Kolsch yeast really seems to benefit from a bit of lagering time and cleans up the beer nicely. So, to me---WLP 029, a lager yeast? No. But benefit from lagering? Yes. At least in my experience. It's a great transition for ale to lager brewers that aren't yet ready to do 'real' lagering.

I make a house Noble Pils-type Ale with 029 that's almost as clean as any lager (lower mash temp also helps in this regard)...it's not a lager yeast...but still likes a good cold rest.

Quick Reply