Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Who brews big beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesestilldrumming View Post
Two weeks now and still ridiculous activity. Bubble every 6 seconds and krausen is still like Booyah!! I my face!! Haha but im definitely being patient, just monitoring.

Each fermentation is different. Some can finish fast and others just chug along for a long time.

I had a BDSA that looked like a lava lamp in the carboy for a full three weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
daveb123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesestilldrumming View Post
Scottish wee heavy has been in primary for ten days and still has insane airlock activity and rich krausen. OG was 1.083 and used edinburgh ale yeast by WLP as a starter. When should this slow down? Kind of weirded out by such long fermentation.
Attachment 96021
I always rouse and swirl my fermenters vigorously during the initial primary fermentation....that lovely big yeasty krausen is doing nothing in the way of fermentation!...stir all that yeast back into suspension and i guarantee you would half your fermentation times!

You cant rush yeast by stirring the krausen back into suspension...but you will speed up the fermentation process by having MORE yeasts in suspension in the wort where its needed!....

I only brew big beers 8-12% Abv and i never wait much longer than 2-3 wks to fully complete primary fermentation in a 10% Abv beer..

My latest brew an imperial IPA of 1.100 OG is already fermenting like crazy...i swirl the fermenter vigorously to re-introduce all the yeast in the krausen back into the wort!...i do this 3-5 times a day for 3-5 days.....all that yeast is doing no good sat on the top!.....

Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
vesestilldrumming
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just swirled my bucket to reintroduce the krausen and yeasties. Thanks for ur knowledge. At least your words.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #14
vesestilldrumming
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow! I got a whole new fermentation after I swirled to beer. Holy cow that helped alot! My airlock is going nuts right now.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #15
jlsummers75
Recipes 

Just brewed an Imperial IPA with rye on the 21st. OG 1090. I pitched WLP090 and it took off. Took a reading today after the noticeably active fermentation stopped. 1019. Still see yeast moving around. I think another week and it'll be done. Sample tasted awesome btw. Might enter this into the nhc. No swirling or nothing. Shook up Carboy good prior to pitch used a 2l starter and within 3 hours it kicked off! Just let it sit at 69.

Quick Reply