New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Whitelabs 009 versus Cooper's Dry Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
wileaway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Whitelabs 009 versus Cooper's Dry Yeast

I've made a couple excellent brews with WLP009 Australian Ale yeast recently. I'd like to continue using this strain but as it is seasonal my usual ingredient suppliers no longer have it in stock. My understanding is that this strain is from Cooper's Brewery which also produces a dry yeast.

For those who've used both, can I expect similar results from the dry yeast? The qualities I'm looking for are the temperature tolerance, emphasis on the malt flavors and slight fruitiness.

I've read other posts implying that the dry yeast is not quite the same strain as the liquid strain. Can anyone speak to this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

They are totally different yeasts. I've made some good beer with wlp009, can't say the same for the dry stuff.

If you can find a reasonably fresh bottle of Coopers Sparkling Ale, you can harvest yeast from the bottle, or so I am told. Problem is finding a fresh bottle.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

You could try saving and reusing your WL009.

You can wash the yeast and save it in Mason jars in the refrigerator. You could probably get a couple of months then wash that batch etc.

Or freeze your yeast.

I make a starter from a new pack/vial that is a little larger than I need. I then make 4 vials to freeze. I take 5ml yeast, 5ml Glycerine and 10ml water in a 20ml vial. I refrigerate them for 24 hours then shake them to mix the solution and put them in my freezer. I have the vials in a container with ice packs to counteract the defrost cycle of my freezer. I have used yeast that I have saved for more than 6 months to great success.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
wileaway
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the replies.

Washing is definitely an option for me. I've tried that before with mixed success.

Freezing is also an intriguing option. I may have to look into picking up some glycerin.

Quick Reply