Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > White Labs 002 (English Ale) in an IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
IL1kebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I prefer WLP007 in an IPA over WLP002 that extra attenuation is perfect for this style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
hopHead1981
Recipes 

Firestone Walker uses a similar yeast in their IPA's and Pales, which in my opinion is a pretty big vote of confidence. Supposedly the trick is to start low and bump up the temp after around 12-24 hours. Something like 64-67(after a dayish), and finishing up at 71 (high krausen to finish). This yeast is a beast and can finish a beer in a few days.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #13
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

although attenuation is not as high as other yeasts you can always fine tune your recipe if you like what you are getting from this yeast. or any other strain, for that matter. lower mash temp, less crystal, or more sugar, for example. i find that 002/1968/fullers yeast is great for the most of same styles as s05/cal as long as you start it cool and ramp up later, as others have said. in casual comparisons (ie not a proper side by side test) i've done between the same beer brewed with cal ale or fullers there's not a big difference in hop character. i'd probably stop short of using fullers for a double ipa, but i bet you could just about get away with it with good yeast management.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
although attenuation is not as high as other yeasts you can always fine tune your recipe if you like what you are getting from this yeast. or any other strain, for that matter. lower mash temp, less crystal, or more sugar, for example. i find that 002/1968/fullers yeast is great for the most of same styles as s05/cal as long as you start it cool and ramp up later, as others have said. in casual comparisons (ie not a proper side by side test) i've done between the same beer brewed with cal ale or fullers there's not a big difference in hop character. i'd probably stop short of using fullers for a double ipa, but i bet you could just about get away with it with good yeast management.
+1 I could consistently get 80% out of this yeast by mashing low and pitching a healthy amount. I love how it makes a bright beer in short order. And, it can ferment anywhere from clean to fruity. I loved the esters I got in my brown ale, but I regularly use it for hoppy beers as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
dkmag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Check out this California/English blend as well. http://morebeer.com/products/white-l...ast-blend.html. I haven't used it yet but looks like it might be good fit for IPAs.

I'm in the middle of a Firestone series using the 002 and re-pitching (Pale 31 -> Union Jack IPA -> Wookey Jack) it finishes quick and the high flocculation gives you really clear beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I use ESB 1968 for all my beers/ales. I start my fermentation at 62-64* F, unless I want the English esters. I have made a Black IPA with this yeast, and there was plenty of hop flavor/bitterness coming through. Since my yeasts' actions are predictable, I may change the mash temperature to get the finished product I want.

Aging from last year: Hard Cider, Triple Chocolate Stout, American Amber II
First fermenter: American Mild
Second fermenter: Empty
Long term aging: Strong Scottish Ale, American Stout
3 new hard ciders, first is a Apple Raspberry, second will be a Apple Grape, and third Apple Cranberry. These will all become Jacked Ciders

Quick Reply