Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Where's the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
rockdemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Where's the fruit?

So i made my first belgian tripel. A partial mash westmalle tripel. I followed this recipe: http://byo.com/belgian-strong-ale/it...y-tripel-clone
I didnt reach the target OG. I got to 1074.
I used wlp530. The fermentation was very active, there were alot of foam.
After 16 days i moves it to 2nd and the FG was 1010. So im satisfied with the numbers but, it tasted very boring. Basically it tasted yeast and alcohol. When im reading about other people doing these kinds of beers they talk about both smell and flavor of banana and bubblegum so ive been trying to find out what that is and aparently its something called esters. I found this chart but cant understand what im doing wrong... I want the fruit flavors!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
rockdemon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

In the recipe it was a low fermentation temp. Is that why i didnt get the esters? My temp was around 71F but still no fruit...

image.jpg  

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
rockdemon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It sure looked like it was happy

image.jpg  

Quick Reply