Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > where to find pacman yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #21
Zorin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts

Try this...

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Pacman-Yeast-from-Rogue-%252d-Wyeast-1764.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
BBKing
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Harvested some PacMan from Shakespeare stout last weekend. Stepped it up 4 times and pitched today into a 1.050 American Amber Ale.

Make small starts (in terms of fermentables). PacMan eats, so you shouldnt have too much of a problem. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #23
kskiles
Recipes 

I have not been overly happy with my results thus far. After a 100ml and 500ml steps, I only have a very thin sampling on the bottom of the flask. It is not a healthy crop by any stretch. I am going to decant this 500ml and redo another 500ml.

Patience is not one of my virtues normally, but when it comes to brewing, I am very. I do not have a bunch of $$$ in this effort which make failure a bit easier to swallow. There may be enough growing in there to make it worth while but I am going to need to see some notable progress in the next couple of days to continue.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #24
rogueales
Recipes 

Default pacman yeast

You can find the yeast in our Brewcraft homebrew kits at http://rogue.com/store/categories/Fun-Stuff/Homebrew-Kits/

Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #25
LakewoodHomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For what it's worth: I haven't been overly happy with my harvest. I seem to be able to get a colony built up, but it has under-performed on both beers I've used it on. In both cases, the fermentation started off nicely and chugged along, but it just doesn't to want to finish up and I'm left with a FG that's 5-10 points higher than it should be. My best guess is I'm over-estimating the vitality of the yeast, and as a result I'm under-pitching.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #26
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodHomeBrew View Post
For what it's worth: I haven't been overly happy with my harvest. I seem to be able to get a colony built up, but it has under-performed on both beers I've used it on. In both cases, the fermentation started off nicely and chugged along, but it just doesn't to want to finish up and I'm left with a FG that's 5-10 points higher than it should be. My best guess is I'm over-estimating the vitality of the yeast, and as a result I'm under-pitching.
how slowly are you stepping it up? you want to start of with not just a small vol of wort, but low gravity as well. i start with ~250ml of ~1.02 wort, step to 500 ml of the same gravity, then 500 ml of ~1.04 wort. that's always gotten me enough yeast to make a starter for brew day.
also, how's your aeration in the batch of beer. i find with liquid yeast, especially cultured yeast that good aeration is key. without it, your yeasties may tire and poop out before FG is reached.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
LakewoodHomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For both batches, the aeration was done using a venturi, and also sloshing. The latest batch had alot of bubbles before pitching.

As far as stepping up, I've stepped up the starter sizes (250mL, 500mL, etc.) but kept them all around 1.045 - 1.050. Perhaps using some lower gravity wort in my initial starters will help. One thing I have noticed is that my starters tend to have very little krausen. When I first harvested the yeast, I seem to recall it had a pretty good krausen...

Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodHomeBrew View Post
For both batches, the aeration was done using a venturi, and also sloshing. The latest batch had alot of bubbles before pitching.

As far as stepping up, I've stepped up the starter sizes (250mL, 500mL, etc.) but kept them all around 1.045 - 1.050. Perhaps using some lower gravity wort in my initial starters will help. One thing I have noticed is that my starters tend to have very little krausen. When I first harvested the yeast, I seem to recall it had a pretty good krausen...
ah, yes, you should make those first couple steps low grav, ~1.020. everything else sounds good, proper aeration, proper starters, etc.
you won't get much krausen with most starters unless you shake, then they foam up nicely when they're working.
i answered your PM, couple questions in there for ya. maybe we can figure out why these yeasts are pooping out on you early.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #29
durban
Recipes 

I tried at harvesting yeast from the Hazelnut brown, but I don't think that I was sucessful. Stupid question, but how can you tell that you are actually stepping up the yeast instead of the trub from the DME? From what I've heard, the starters don't usually have a typical krausen, is that correct?
Also, does anyone have the Wyeast Pacman in stock?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by durban View Post
I tried at harvesting yeast from the Hazelnut brown, but I don't think that I was sucessful. Stupid question, but how can you tell that you are actually stepping up the yeast instead of the trub from the DME? From what I've heard, the starters don't usually have a typical krausen, is that correct?
Also, does anyone have the Wyeast Pacman in stock?
Trub is normally darker. If your creamy white yeast layer is getting thicker, you are getting more yeast. The first couple of steps are the hardest to tell.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply