Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Where to buy/name of Mr.Beer bottom fermenting yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
HighGravity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to buy/name of Mr.Beer bottom fermenting yeast?

Hi, I was recently impressed at the work of Mr. Beers yeast in terms of that you just add a pill of yeast, wait 3 week, cool, and drink. I was considering that I could just buy the 2L bottles and replace their wort with mine, but think a better way would be to cultivate their yeast and keep it on hand, or buy it and use it for quality wort.

Anyone know where to buy it and what its called? Anyone make good beer by using this method of just fermenting in a single 2L bottle?

I don't have the room to keg/refrigerate, and I use a closet that could keep 3 primaries on the floor with about 20 - 2L bottles spread here and there. Is it realistic to think I could eliminate so many steps and do the whole thing in a bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGravity View Post
Is it realistic to think I could eliminate so many steps and do the whole thing in a bottle?
No, not realistic.

All those "so many steps" are there for a reason. If you use a bottle as the primary, and cap at the end, you will have beer ranging from flat, to bottle bombs, with krausen scum on top and an inch or two of dregs on the bottom, lots of other problems as well.

There is nothing special about Mr. Beer yeast. A packet of Nottingham or S-05 is only a couple bucks anyway. Not the place to be skimping, IMO.

I still use my Mr. Beer keg, BTW. Handy for small batch brewing and testing. But I buy good ingredients, including yeast, from full-service HBS outfits.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply