The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > when to transfer to secondary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
travis22155
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default when to transfer to secondary fermenter

Using a brewers best kit, says to transfer to my carboy when the hydrometer says the beer is in the primary, what does this mean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
teddy4xp
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would skip that step. Leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks and then keg or bottle.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2229

That doesn't make much sense.

Many people will say there is no need to transfer to secondary unless you are aging, dry hopping or adding fruit, and they are probably right. Transfer usually happens when the beer has finished fermenting, your hydrometer can indicate this by having a stabilized gravity, consistent readings over a few days. I usually leave the beer in the primary 3-4 weeks and then bottle or keg.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis22155 View Post
Using a brewers best kit, says to transfer to my carboy when the hydrometer says the beer is in the primary, what does this mean.
I usually do Primary 2-3 weeks then secondary for two weeks if I'm adding anything otherwise it stays on the primary for 30 days. Then rack to bottling bucket, prime and bottle .

Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Natdavis777
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

My process is primary for 14 days, 7 days @ 66-68F, 7 days @ 70-72F, then transfer to a secondary for another week. I usually do beers that I dry hop or pepper beers, as for the reason I do a secondary. If no conditioning, I keep in the primary, cold crash for a few days, then keg. My very first beer, I got too axious and transferred out early w/o a diacytl rest and paid the price. With what I do now, I havnt had any issues and am able to drink the beer within 3-3.5 weeks

Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm in the process of making an oatmeal chocolate stout. Would those in the "No Secondary" crowd recommend addition of chocolate extract and bourbon-soaked vanilla pods to the primary, or should I rack over these in a secondary?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natdavis777 View Post
My process is primary for 14 days, 7 days @ 66-68F, 7 days @ 70-72F, then transfer to a secondary for another week. I usually do beers that I dry hop or pepper beers, as for the reason I do a secondary. If no conditioning, I keep in the primary, cold crash for a few days, then keg. My very first beer, I got too axious and transferred out early w/o a diacytl rest and paid the price. With what I do now, I havnt had any issues and am able to drink the beer within 3-3.5 weeks
2 Weeks seems short since even the most.water down brews needs at least 3 weeks but if that taste works for you then keep it up..Palates are different and its nice to be able to make it as you like ..

Quick Reply