Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > When Should I transfer to secondary for High Gravity brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
losman26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default When Should I transfer to secondary for High Gravity brew?

I'm doing a extract clone of westvleteren 12, and the instructions for the kit say to transfer after one week and leave it in the secondary until it reaches the projected FG (6weeks-1.022). My OG was 1.110, and I just pulled a sample and it was 1.050 after 9 days. They say that the projected FG is 1.022. I made a starter using two smack packs, also the instructions say to pitch another smack pack 3 days prior to bottling.

So when should I transfer? Should I wait it out until it gets close to the FG? Or seeing that I have to pitch another smack pack prior to bottling, should I just go ahead and transfer in a couple of days?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you transfer before you hit your target gravity, odds are good you'll stall your ferment and never hit it.

I'd use something like T-58 at bottling instead of wasting another smack pack. Seems like a waste of money, and T-58 is great for bottle conditioning.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
losman26
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I gave the carboy a swirl, and there seems to be more activity going on

Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by losman26 View Post
I'm doing a extract clone of westvleteren 12, and the instructions for the kit say to transfer after one week and leave it in the secondary until it reaches the projected FG (6weeks-1.022). My OG was 1.110, and I just pulled a sample and it was 1.050 after 9 days. They say that the projected FG is 1.022. I made a starter using two smack packs, also the instructions say to pitch another smack pack 3 days prior to bottling.

So when should I transfer? Should I wait it out until it gets close to the FG? Or seeing that I have to pitch another smack pack prior to bottling, should I just go ahead and transfer in a couple of days?

Thanks
On a beer that big, I'd go three weeks minimum with 4 being better still in the primary. If it were my beer, I'd never secondary it, as I don't see the need.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree no secondary.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
arg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I let a 1.102 gravity Russian Imperial Stout sit in the primary (nasty primary too, exploded violently during fermentation) for 8 weeks. I kegged it the other weekend. Tasted great, though still a little bit hot and rough around the edges. It will age for another 3 or 4 months before the next sample is taken.

No secondary.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
jpc8015
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Can a beer that big go 10-12 weeks in a primary with no secondary?

Quick Reply