Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > When should i expect to hear my primary fermentator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
NativeSun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default When should i expect to hear my primary fermentator?

I just made my second brew today with the wife. We made a happy holiday ale, similar to blue moon spiced amber ale. I'm very excited about this beer and I added a bit more cinnamon then recommended but nothing crazy. I'm waiting for my yeast to act with the oxygen and start bubbling out of the airlock. Should it be happening within the next couple hours (6-12)??

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
CarnieBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anything's possible with an airlock. I've had them bubbling away on weizen brews in 10 hours, other brews might take up to 2 days. And I've had more than a few brews never bubble an airlock even once. Same end result on every one of those though.....great beer.

Airlock is a convenience more than a tool for measuring fermentation. Watch your brew for a krausen, and if you're concerned that it's not fermenting (which would be very unlikely btw), take a gravity reading. If it's lower than your original gravity reading, the yeast is doing its job!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply