Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > when should fermenting be done

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
martn55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default when should fermenting be done

I started a witbier 5 days ago today. It started bubbling the next morning an stopped about a day or so ago. The OG was 1.047 and i just moved it into the second fermentor and the SG is 1.020. Now i believe this to be kinda high. Does anyone think this will come down some more or is this beer not going to have that much of an ABV?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by martn55 View Post
I started a witbier 5 days ago today. It started bubbling the next morning an stopped about a day or so ago. The OG was 1.047 and i just moved it into the second fermentor and the FG (<---fixed that for you) is 1.020.
Couple of things, what yeast did you use? This is extremely important, yeast strain, pitching temperatures, how much yeast, wort temp both at time of pitching and during fermentation. Also, was this all-grain, or an extract kit?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Conan4480
Recipes 

I have a Brewers Outpost aspen ale going right now. It has been fermenting for about a week and a half. OG was 1.055, I have not checked to see what the gravity is right now. I will probably let it sit until Saturday before bottling.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
martn55
Recipes 

this was an extract lit. dont remember what the yeast strain was. Pitching temp was 72. wort temp was around 68 to 65 the whole five days

Old 01-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
martn55
Recipes 

and the fixing of the SG to the FG. This is what the kit called it. Plus its not finished fermenting right so would it not be the Final Gravity

Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by martn55 View Post
and the fixing of the SG to the FG. This is what the kit called it. Plus its not finished fermenting right so would it not be the Final Gravity
I'd have to agree. I don't know much, but my understanding is that Specific Gravity is an accurate use of the nomenclature, in any case really, that is, SG is OG at the beginning and FG at the end of fermentation, but in any case, when you take a reading, the result is the specific gravity. Some confusion may come into play as a lot of recipes refer to Starting Gravity, which might also be termed SG. Anyways, if your kit was an extract kit, 1.02 is not an unreasonable FG.
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You might have stalled it by racking it too soon. You shouldn't rack to secondary until you're sure fermentation is finished. Just because it stopped bubbling doesn't mean fermentation is finished or that the yeast is done its work. I'd try to warm it up and give it some more time, but 1.020 might be your FG.

Kits usually come with instructions that are aimed at enhancing speed, not quality, and aren't always in line with sound homebrewing practices.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Do yourself a favor in the future, Forget about secondary!

It has its uses, but not in this case or in most brews for that matter.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
martn55
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Do yourself a favor in the future, Forget about secondary!

It has its uses, but not in this case or in most brews for that matter.
anything i have read and talked to brew store owner says that the secondary is a key to clarity and better flavor in the long run. Ii will admit i may have racked a little early but if i followed the kit specs i should be bottling right now. Plus even the kit specs say that secondary is good practice. One thing that i think will help me out in this is that when i transferred over to the carboy i just run it off of the spigot on the bottom of the bucket. not using the racking cane. I checked it awhile ago and it has quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the carboy so im thinking that i took some of the yeast with it. Im not saying that secondary is something that needs to be done but thats what info i keep taking away from places.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
martn55
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigi View Post
You might have stalled it by racking it too soon. You shouldn't rack to secondary until you're sure fermentation is finished. Just because it stopped bubbling doesn't mean fermentation is finished or that the yeast is done its work. I'd try to warm it up and give it some more time, but 1.020 might be your FG.

Kits usually come with instructions that are aimed at enhancing speed, not quality, and aren't always in line with sound homebrewing practices.
then why would they sell them that way. Wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the kit.
SIDE QUESTION
if beer is always changing when you leave it in this fementer longer if you leave it in the bottle longer if you just leave where ever longer then how do you really know how long , is long enough?

Quick Reply