Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > when do you transfer out of primary?
View Poll Results: when do you transfer out of primary?
just before fermentation is complete 0 0%
just after fermentation is complete 2 11.76%
3 days of a stable gravity reading, then rack 5 29.41%
2 weeks 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default when do you transfer out of primary?

Just curious to see whatt other home brewers are doing these days. I know a lot of brewers on the forum like the extended primary method, but is anyone racking off the trub just before or just after fermentation is complete? Just for experimentation I racked my last beer out of the primary and into the corny keg just a couple points shy of terminal gravity. At this stage there seems to be plenty of yeast in suspension, which I would guess should be enough to finish off the fermentation and clean up after themselves. This would also naturally carbonate the beer if all goes well. Has anyone tried or compared different methods? Noted any flavor differences?

Edit: wanted to add another poll option for 4 weeks or more, but editing polls doesn't seem to be an option.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
jalmeida
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Preferably when either fermentation is almost all the way tapered off or ~.001 of predicted FG. The basic rule of thumb with ales is 2 weeks. But, I watch the beer because I worry about racking to secondary if all fermentation is done. I like positive fermenter pressure for secondary after racking. Last thing I want is a suction on the airlock or oxygen just sitting there in the headspace. I am betting you will get at least 5 more different answers that will all be right. The only thing to really be cautious of is racking based on airlock activity alone and racking during a stalled fermentation.

I take a small shot glass sample after 1-1.5 weeks and taste for sweetness. If it tastes close to being done I check gravity. Then rack based on gravity.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Really none of the above. I prefer to go about 3 weeks then keg. Lately my pipeline has been slack so I have been kegging at just over 2 week.

I never move my beers before fermentation is finished.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
BigPerm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It just depends. I rack if I want clarity, to bulk age or to dry hop. I don't if I want to drink on the young side, or if clarity doesn't matter (ie Wit) or (conversely) have a very flocculant yeast that I can easily rack off of. I will rack if I want to repitch on a yeast cake. Sometimes, when making a sour, I'll leave it on the dregs for a little extra funk.

I never rack until fermentation is totally done and the yeast has had a few days to clean up/drop out. The few times I've racked when fermentation was evident I ended up with a stuck ferment (I don;t know why).

This is one of those "everyones got an .... opinion" topics here. In general, you wont go wrong either way (within reason)

Souring: Sour Stout, Berliner #3 (L. brevis)
Conditioning: Saison x2, Brown Ale, Farmhouse Radler, Berliner #2, Barrel-Aged Imperial Rye Smoked Porter, Wit (+ Calabaza blanca dregs), Quadrupel
Drinking Now: DIPA, Hop-Bursted IPA, Wit, Barrel-Aged RIS, Belgian IPA, Belgian Stout, Hefeweizen, Belgian Hefeweizen, Smoked Robust Porter, American Stout, Berliner #1

Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 91

None of the above. Usually three weeks minimum before racking to the bottling bucket.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #6
Sbarnard80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

After a week which for me is not long after fermentation is pretty much done. Then stays in secondary for 2. Although based on a lot of posts I have been reading, I will likely stop transferring unless I'm dry hopping or something.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 AM   #7
F_R_O_G
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

been transferring to secondary after {10 days} or {3 days of the same SG} (whatever is more) but I think from now on, I'm not going to use a secondary. My 11% barley wine did just fine after just 2 weeks in primary with no off flavors.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 AM   #8
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 136

None of the above, no secondary for me.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
CraigKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My general schedule is, primary = 7 days, secondary = 14 days.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

pretty much 2 weeks unless I'm lazy. i go straight from the bucket and into the keg. in the summer we drink a lot around my place so there is no time for long fermenting beers!!

Quick Reply