Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wheat yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
MattyIceGfunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wheat yeast

So I went out and got all ingredients today to make this wheat beer including the wb-06 yeast. When I opened the coopers wheat extract it also came with a yeast packet. How bad is it to use 2 different kinds of yeast? I'm assuming that's a no no.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is no problem using two types of yeast, just remember though that yeast is the most dominant taste controlling factor in any beer and even more so for a wheat beer. All those clove banana flavors come from the yeast so mixing yeast will mean that you will have a mix of the two flavors provided by the two different yeasts. Not that it is bad just that it might not be what you are after.

The coopers forum says that the coopers wheat extract comes with yeast labeled, Wheat - A (26807 W) I tried to find more info about how similar this is to other strains but got nothing.

Remember that if you are brewing a wheat beer to control the temp really accurately to control the flavor profile specific to what you want. High range temps = Bananas lower temp range = apricots and spices (just my opinion)

Clem

Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
MattyIceGfunk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great info. Maybe I'll stick to just the packet I got separately. This is my first original recipe so I would hate for it to turn out for the worse.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Remember not worse just different, really bad and it might be called unique.

I miss labelled some hops I repackaged and added zeus to a hefeweizen, definitely not a traditional hefeweizen but still good enough to drink. That said beer styles exist because they appeal to a wide audience so it is always safe to stick with the herd until you ready to risk uniqueness. Like the guy who invented meatball flavored ice cream!

Clem

Quick Reply