Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wheat beer yeast strains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
ReaderRabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wheat beer yeast strains

Here's something I've been trying to figure out but with no success on the Google-fu -- is there something about wheat that calls for a particular type of yeast strain? I know to make a hefewiesen or a witbier I need a yeast that will create the right flavors, but what I'm wondering is:

1. If I'm making an American-style wheat, is there a problem with using another neutral strain? Is there something the American wheat strains provide specially?

On a related note, I like dry yeasts and was looking at Danstar Munich, but from what I've read it doesn't provide any of the hefe flavors, what advantage does it provide over something like Safale US-05?

2. Is there any problems if I make a wort that has no wheat but use a wheat strain? I've been wanting to try Wyeast 3333 German Wheat for the vanilla esters but I wanted to get that flavor in a summer tripel or a cream ale. Would there be an issue with me using that kind of wort (with a clarifying addition) with the Wyeast 3333?

Currently brewing:
- Primary: Munich Dunkel, Rauchbier, German Pilsner, Mochi Rice Wine
- Secondary: English Barley Wine, Date & Honey Ale, Basic Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 146

It's quite common to use neutral ale yeasts like the chico strains in an American wheat. No experience with Danstar munich so can't help there.
The German wheat yeast shouldn't have any problems fermenting a non-wheat wort if that's what you're asking.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on using a neutral ale yeast on a wheat. I just pitched some US-05 in a batch of wheat a few hours ago. I have brewed a version of the same recipe and have fermented it with many strains of yeast. I find I prefer it when using a clean neutral yeast.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Beergazzi
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've used Safale WB-06 in my last two batches, one was a cream ale and it fermented it below 1.01 (hydro bottomed out) so I was impressed by that. It imparted a little ester like flavor in it, fermented at 65 degrees (room temp).

Just pitched it yesterday into a Lemon Wheat partial kit from austin homebrew and despite my leaky bucket giving me no outward signs of fermentation, I know its bubbling away in there. (Can feel it). So ill chime in when I sample the hydro tube. This will probably ferment in the low 70s if the weather people were right

Next beer is a "saison" using T-58 fermenting at 75 air temp, it may be an option for wheat types as well

Quick Reply