Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What's your favorite Belgian yeast strain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
maida7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Default What's your favorite Belgian yeast strain?

I'm getting ready to brew some Belgians. I have ingredients for a dubble and a triple. In the past I have used the WLP550 Belgian ale and it gave a spicy clove flavor that was very nice. I'm brewing the dubble this weekend and I picked up a vial of the WLP500 Trappist ale to use. What do you think of the WLP500? What's your favorite yeast for Belgians?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
thelastdandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've really had a lot of luck with wyeast 1388 belgian strong ale and wyeast 1762 and love their flavors and they attenuate awesome (my lhbs doesn't carry white labs for some reason). i really got into brewing belgians a while ago and picked up a copy of the book "brew like a monk". its a great read and has a break down of all the white labs and wyeast belgian yeast strains and what flavors they will produce at what temperatures. if belgians are something you are going to keep doing, pick up a copy of the book. it will help you a lot.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
danlad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chimay yeast. I stole some out of a bottle of Chimay and have been using it for everything! Made a tripel type for Spring, and a stout which has taken on a fine, full, dried fruit flavour. Brown ale fermenting as we speak and a witbier and a pale ale planned. It's nice to use a yeast that really produces fruitiness as I've been frustrated by dried yeasts like Safale 04 not imparting the great smell it has when fermenting into the beer.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlad View Post
Chimay yeast. I stole some out of a bottle of Chimay and have been using it for everything! Made a tripel type for Spring, and a stout which has taken on a fine, full, dried fruit flavour. Brown ale fermenting as we speak and a witbier and a pale ale planned. It's nice to use a yeast that really produces fruitiness as I've been frustrated by dried yeasts like Safale 04 not imparting the great smell it has when fermenting into the beer.
The wlp500 that I have is supposedly the same as the stuff they use at Chimay. Here is a chart of all the yeast strains.

What temp did you ferment at? Did you get a big banana aroma/flavor?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
danlad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
The wlp500 that I have is supposedly the same as the stuff they use at Chimay. Here is a chart of all the yeast strains.

What temp did you ferment at? Did you get a big banana aroma/flavor?
Edinburgh autumn into winter temps, so quite cool. Say 15c ambient in my brew corner. A touch of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit while fermenting, but the stout is much more fruity. Far more raisiny, pruny in the aftertaste than banana. Bit of maturing and (if I may put my wine ponce hat on) it has behind the stout roasted taste an almost port-like element to the flavour. Me likey.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
maida7
Recipes 

15c = 59F that's kinda cold.

I'd really like some rasin / prune in my dubbel. Sounds great! I'm getting excited. I'm making a starter tonight. Brewing on Sunday.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
danlad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
15c = 59F that's kinda cold.

I'd really like some rasin / prune in my dubbel. Sounds great! I'm getting excited. I'm making a starter tonight. Brewing on Sunday.
Is 15c/59f ambient just now and my brown ale is trying to climb out the top of the bucket...

Must be a few degrees higher inside, but is working fine. If it is slower than some ferments so be it, am prepared to wait a few weeks for it to finish. Smells good so far.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wyeast1762 is what Rochfort uses and they make a tasty Trappist. Although I would never complain about the wpl500 either.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wyeast 1214. I think it's the Chimey strain. It's really good.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
VolFan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have made several dubbels with WLP530 Abbey Ale and really like it. Latest was a Westmalle clone that tasted great, that fermented in the mid 60's. Have also made several batches with yeast cultured from Duvel, also fantastic. Be prepared for an extremely active fermentation with any of the belgians, make sure you use a blowoff tube.

Quick Reply