Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What are your thoughts on using this starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
g8tor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What are your thoughts on using this starter?

If the hops I ordered get here today or tomorrow I will be making an IPA this weekend. The yeast I'm planning on using is from yeast I harvested from an amber ale I bottled Dec 10, 2010. The amber ale was made with WYeast 1056 bought from the LHBS. The harvested yeast was stored in a refrigerator at temperatures ranging from 35 F to 45 F. The only experience I have with a starter is the one I used for my Oktoberfest I brewed 3 weeks ago. For that I put one package of LHBS bought yeast in 3 L of beer and placed it on my stir plate. It took off in less then 12 hours and 24 hours later I placed it into the fridge to settle the yeast and it seemed to work great.

However, this time the starter didn't take off like it did before. I made the starter Monday night. I took the harvested yeast out of the fridge and decanted the liquid off. I then let it warm up for three hours. I then mixed the little bit of liquid I had left with the yeast to form a slurry and then poured that into the cooled wort. I put it on my stir plate and let it go. The temperature is around 69 -70 F. After not seeing anything happening the last couple of days I was assuming that the yeast was dead and I was going to just buy new yeast. However, this morning the yeast is bubbling away and is looking normal now. I'm guessing why it took so long to get going is because most of the yeast in the harvested sample were dead and it took this long for the few remaining yeast to populate enough to show signs of fermentation. So will I be OK using this yeast or should I buy a package of fresh yeast and make a starter from that?

Thanks,

Scott

Primary1: Empty
Primary2: Empty
Secondary1:Oktoberfest
Secondary2: Empty
Kegged: Centennial IPA, American Ale, Brown Ale (Moose Drool clone)
Bottled: Porter, American Amber, Blond Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

If it smells OK you're fine. The longer the yeast stays dormant, the longer it takes to wake-up+multiply.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say give it a taste by pouring a small sample. If it smells or tastes bad, don't use it.

Might want to consider a step-up process next time. For example, use a 200ml volume of 1030 wort, run it for a day, increase to a 1L volume of 1035 wort and finish with a 2L volume of 1040 wort. Just use the Mr. Malty calculator to determine how much you actually need.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
g8tor
Recipes 

I'll give it a smell but I don't think I want to taste it. If in doubt after smelling it I'll start with at new batch of yeast.

That's a good idea with the step up. Do I just add the extra wort to the flask while its still sitting on the stir plate?

Scott

Primary1: Empty
Primary2: Empty
Secondary1:Oktoberfest
Secondary2: Empty
Kegged: Centennial IPA, American Ale, Brown Ale (Moose Drool clone)
Bottled: Porter, American Amber, Blond Ale

Quick Reply