What is your favourite yeast strain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giligson

Reaction score
OK simple question - and I'm looking for one line answers (OK, OK .. you can go on at length in the body of the reply but just put your answer at the beginning so people can find it quickly.)

If you were stranded on a desert island (with all the necessary supplies to brew beer except access to multiple yeast strains) what would be your choice for a single yeast strain (or commercially available strain mix) that you would like to have with you?

I'll start it off with my answer

Wyeast 1056

I normally use SA-05 unless I'm making a clone or style that calls for something else.

It's cheap and it always works (for me).

I'm really into Denny's Favorite, Wyeast 1450 I believe. It says:

This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any style beer and is a mainstay of Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and helps accentuate the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated.

I read somewhere that it gives your beer a "luscious mouthfeel", and I really agree with that.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of Wyeast 1056, or White Labs 001 for all of my American style beers.

WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch - after trying a Kölsch and controlling fermentation temps I use this yeast for a Blonde Ale also.

Don't know why Kölsch isn't a more popular style.

I'm with ChshreCat - any Belgian Saison/Farmhouse Ale yeast. If I'm stranded in a desert island, it better be a tropical one... so I'd want a yeast that can ferment at 90F without giving me solvent.

If you try to ferment a Hefe in a Tropical Island, you'll stink up the whole place with bananas.

license_20091113200042_34441.jpg

Back