Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What are you fermenting in?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #51
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've been fermenting in one 6.5g carboy, 1 6g carboy, and two 5g's for secondaries.

This is an exciting week though, I picked up a couple of 6g better bottles from the recent BOGO offer Northern Brewer Had. I'm interested to finally arrive at my own conclusions on these. One thing I can say for certain, the two boxes arrived and for their size might as well have been empty. They barely weighed as much as the cardboard they shipped in. I swear the 6G better bottle weighs less than the handle I have on my glass 6G.

I love my glass carboys, I love knowing they are spotless but depending on how things go with my post-primary cleaning, I might have to switch to these BB's. If I don't like them, love them really, I'm going to unload them to some lucky local brewer at a great price!

First observation: I usually sanitize my carboy, then flip it upside down in a 2 Gallon stainless spaghetti pot on the floor to dry. I've currently got the better bottle sanitized and flipped upside down in a....Oxo 2-cup measuring cup..ON the counter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #52
CaptnCully
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore

Just think of it as a stainless steel carboy. After my first couple batches the novelty of seeing the yeasties swim around was gone, and I never really "kept tabs" on my beer. I just let it ferment out, then took a hydro reading to make sure it had fermented properly, and then bottled or kegged it. Same process with a keg. Depending on what type of keg you use, there are a lot of different options for blow-off tubes and airlocks. You can even use a spunding valve instead and ferment under light pressure like a lot of larger breweries do. I don't think the fermenter makes any difference for doing a d-rest. Just raise the temp of your ferm chamber when appropriate.
Can you blow your yeast out the pick up tube and just go on to use that primary (corny) for a keg?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #53
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnCully View Post

Can you blow your yeast out the pick up tube and just go on to use that primary (corny) for a keg?
Not really. The only yeast that will get sucked up is the little bit really close to the pickup tube. I actually use CO2 pressure to rack the beer to the serving keg through the pickup tube. I push the first couple oz of yeast into a cup to be discarded, and then it flows clear until the last couple oz. When I'm done, I can look into the keg used for fermenting, and the yeast cake is still there except for a little spot near the diptube.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #54
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Pretty much exclusively carboys now.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
CaptnCully
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore

Not really. The only yeast that will get sucked up is the little bit really close to the pickup tube. I actually use CO2 pressure to rack the beer to the serving keg through the pickup tube. I push the first couple oz of yeast into a cup to be discarded, and then it flows clear until the last couple oz. When I'm done, I can look into the keg used for fermenting, and the yeast cake is still there except for a little spot near the diptube.
So what happens if i just force carb right on top of this? Do i end up with a little yeast in each glass or does it floc out hard enough that i can draw my beer clear

Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #56
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnCully

So what happens if i just force carb right on top of this? Do i end up with a little yeast in each glass or does it floc out hard enough that i can draw my beer clear
If you check out the pressurized fermentation thread, you'll find lots of people doing this. It's pretty darn convenient to ferment in and serve from the same vessel.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #57
pugmug
Recipes 

I have a 3 gallon glass carboy which is perfect for my 2.5 gallon batches (and my weak arms).

I also have a 5 gallon bucket that I plan to use for larger batches, or for 3 gallon batches which I will then put into my 3 gallon glass carboy for long secondarys.

I think it's pretty versatile for what I want to do at the moment.

Quick Reply