Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What Yeast to Use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Banzai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default What Yeast to Use

OK, I've brewed a few batches with kits and LME/DME, and everything has come out pretty good. I'm very pleased with the Light and Cream ales that I've made, but many of my friends are asking for something a little lighter. Here's what I've found (on here as a Coors Lite clone when lagered) that I'm thinking about trying:

3lbs Extra Light DME
1.5lbs Corn sugar
1lb Rice syrup solids
1oz Saaz 60 minutes boil

I don't have the ability to lager, but I do have a pretty good swamp cooler set-up that can easily keep the temp between 60-70*F.

For yeast I'm leaning toward US-05, since it's operating range is 59-75*F.

Never mind the inevitable comparrison with one of the commercial offering. Iit's not something I would probably do for myself, but we're having a big party in about 7 weeks, and I figure that now is the time to get this going so that it gets a fair assesment against my other brews!

Here's the question: What yeast to use? Any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Many brewers report a peach flavour with S-05 in the lower part of the temperature range.

If you are married to the idea of dry yeast, consider Nottingham. Otherwise, there are some good possibilities with Wyeast or White Labs liquid.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Many brewers report a peach flavour with S-05 in the lower part of the temperature range.

If you are married to the idea of dry yeast, consider Nottingham. Otherwise, there are some good possibilities with Wyeast or White Labs liquid.
I agree. I got some seriously "peach"y esters when fermenting S05 at 62 degrees. Nottingham would be better, but there may be some liquid strains (cream ale yeast blend WLP080 is one) that would be best.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post

I count myself as one who doesn't care for us05 at all at lower temps. It's probably the only strain I've found that ferments cleaner (at least for me) at 67-68. I'd pitch lower, maybe 65-66 and let it free rise to 68 and hold it there 3-4 days, then let it free rise completely after that to promote clean up and complete attenuation.

Alternatively, Nottingham at 59-60 is super clean, some report a tartness when using that yeast at low temps, but I can't say I've experienced that.

Quick Reply