New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What yeast strain to use? - 6 month mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Delaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default What yeast strain to use? - 6 month mead

Hey,

I'm planning to make two batches of mead soon, one being a sweet mead, the other being a dry mead. Unfortunately, I will only have 6 months to ferment prior to bottling.

Therefore I seek suggestions for a yeast strain that would be well suited to dry/mead fermentation given this parameter of time.

Thanks for the help!

Health and Happiness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Maybe others can suggest something different but I have found it impossible to rush mead aging. I made an orange mead in 2008 that tasted foul. I gave up on it but tried some last night and it was finally really good.

That said, a wine yeast such as champagne or montpellier would ferment it out pretty fast, perhaps in as little as 3 days. That at least would give you a head start on your bulk aging.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Kunkemonster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had very drinkable braggot and brochet mead in 3 months with WYeast 1056, granted they were less than 10% ABV. They key is enough healthy yeast, proper fermentation temp, staggered yeast nutrient/energizer, and degassing/vigorous stirring during the first week. In fact my braggot reached terminal gravity in two weeks. Check out this BrewingTV episode

Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
moviebrain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I agree. If you only have 6 months target less than 10% abv, search for a fermentation method called Staggered Nutrient Additions (SNA), and aerate every 12 hours until you are 1/3 of the way to your final gravity. I found that my mead was very drinkable at 4 months and pretty great at 6, though it keeps getting better (just past 11 months)

Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I think you need to look at using some wine yeast. I have had good results using Lavlin D-47. I only fermented mine for 3 months and it turned out really good..winning a 1st and consistently getting in the high 30's in comps. Of course they still need a long aging period.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Quick Reply