Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What yeast can I substitute for White Labs English Ale??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default What yeast can I substitute for White Labs English Ale??

I ordered two recipes from Austin Homebrew Supply. One was a Budget Brown Ale and the other was a Red Stripe Clone. Both were shipped with yeast and cold packs. I made the Red Stripe over a week ago and during the fermentation process, I learned that the yeast that had shipped probably got too hot and spoiled. I ended up buying another Wyeast Smack Pack from my LHBS. I'll never order Yeast online again.

Well, Sunday afternoon I made the Brown Ale. Oddly, the OG is suggested to be 1.048. Well I measured the OG and it is 1.060. Anyways, I poured the White Labs English Ale WLP002 yeast in and have it fermenting at about 70F - 72F. Well, nothing is happening. My guess it that the White Labs yeast also got too hot and spoiled.

Sorry for the story, I was trying to fill and gaps. So. I have an extra Wyeast American Lager 2035. Can I use this? I know better. I will probably pick up another White Labs yeast tomorrow after work and pitch it again. So maybe I don't have a question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Even if those vials were factory fresh, they only have 100 billion cells. That number declines rapidly over time and/or exposure to summer shipping temps. You simply didn't have enough cells for a 5 gallon batch of 1.048 or 1.060 ale.

I'm assuming that the Red Stripe clone came with lager yeast. Lagers generally need twice the cell count of a comparable ale. In that case, a single vial (even when super-fresh) isn't even in the ballpark.

Here are the lessons to learn from all this. The first one you already picked up on. Buying liquid yeast online in the summer is a risky thing. The inside of a UPS delivery truck this week in Texas is pretty roasty. Second, if you're going to use liquid yeast, get used to making yeast starters. Unless you want to buy and pitch multiple packs, a starter is the only way to get the needed cell count and make good beer.

If that were my batch of brown ale, I'd rehydrate a packet of S-04 dry yeast and pitch that in it.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You are right. I am going to need to learn how to do a yeast starter. Time to invest in a stirplate.

How do I "rehydrate"? I will do some reading about it...

Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Check the safeale website fermentis.com for rehydrating instructions.

If you do decide to buy online liquid yeast again, I'd pick a supplier that's closer....so it makes it in one day. I have no choice as there is no LHBS here but Austin does get it to me next day.

I tried some White Labs shipped from Atlanta as a test of the cold packs and used a gift certificate someone gave me......the WPL051 seemed like it got pretty damn warm by the time it arrived in August (it was 105 here) but I tried it on a fairly medium OG brew.......it took a week for it to do anything but then it went wild.....hang on, it may go anyway.

Green Bay Packers - 13 Time World Champions

Old 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

S-04. Rehydrate dry yeast, starter for all liquid yeast.

On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Look here...

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

It give comparisons of the White Labs and Wyeast yeasts. WL English ale is the same as Wyeast 1968.

Quick Reply