Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What would you do in this situation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
douglasbarbin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What would you do in this situation?

Yesterday I brewed AHS's Apocalypso mini-mash kit. Basically like a slightly lighter IPA. I had a few small mason jars with some Danstar Nottingham yeast I had washed from a previous batch. Being my first time washing yeast, I'm not sure that I got enough yeast to ferment this batch (6 gallon batch, 1.062 OG). If I don't see some fermentation activity today, I think I will pitch a packet of dry yeast.

Problem is, today is a holiday, and the only yeast I have on hand are less than ideal. I have Danstar Munich, Saflager W-34/70, and Safbrew S-33. I am leaning towards the S-33, but I just don't know. What would you do in this situation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
509inc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I would wait it out till tomorrow. Then if needed stop by the LHBS.

My HomeBrew and Craft Beer Blog:
http://the509inc.blogspot.com/

Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
SterlingHopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always make a starter when pitching washed yeast, if only to make sure the yeast is alive.

If you had another mason jar full of yeast, you could pitch it as well (or make a starter with it) to ensure you've got enough healthy yeast for the job.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
douglasbarbin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingHopper View Post
I always make a starter when pitching washed yeast, if only to make sure the yeast is alive.

If you had another mason jar full of yeast, you could pitch it as well (or make a starter with it) to ensure you've got enough healthy yeast for the job.
Unfortunately, I don't have another jar. I figured that since the batch size was relatively small, I wouldn't need a starter, but that is an excellent point about doing it to ensure that the yeast are viable. Lesson learned.

I might be able to stop by LHBS tomorrow after work, but that is no guarantee, as I have class every day this week, so it may be a few days before I can make it to the LHBS.

I am debating on pitching the S-33, but I'm not sure if it is "clean" enough for an IPA.

Quick Reply