Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What say you about this situation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Jenks829
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default What say you about this situation?

In October of 2009, my LHBS hosted a Big Brew. All of us brewed a RIS which was to ferment in 55 gallon bourbon barrels for one month before being transferred to our individual secondarys. I noted in an early post in which I believed we under pitched this batch here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/did-...rpitch-147961/

I still (10 months later) am not able to bottle due to the gravity being 1.033. I am out of ideas to get this beer down.

The O.G. was in the 1.110 range, fermented in the bourbon barrels for 1 month. When I picked up my secondary, I was informed me that I may want to let it sit in the carboy for a while and possible pitch some additional yeast with nutrient as they were measuring a gravity of 1.045. I myself did not take a reading for a few months and when I did in February it was 1.033/1.035. I brought the carboy upstairs to slightly raise the temp, rehydrated some Nottingham and pitched. No signs of fermentation and the gravity reading verifyed that. Next I tried adding some yeast energizer and pitched two packs of EC-1118 wine yeast a day later. Still nothing and the gravity still reads 1.033. The sample is tasty with the exception of strong/harsh solvent like alcohol presence. I do not detect any sweetness.

I don't feel I should bottle at this gravity. Unless I can find an alternative to lower the gravity, I may try and keg. I don't normally keg my beers so this will be a challenge as I don't have a kegerater. I would simply put the keg in my beer fridge with a picnic tap.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

If everyone else is seeing similar gravities, only adding some alpha amylase will help. 70% attenuation isn't bad for a RIS.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks829 View Post
I don't feel I should bottle at this gravity.
Why?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Who is the maroon that decided to rack it out of the barrel at 1.045?

FWIW
As was stated above 70% isnt bad for that beer.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Jenks829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

David.... This is the type of idea I was looking for. I will do some reading and consider trying the alpha amylase powder.

Papper.... I don't want to bottle at that high a gravity for fear of bottle bombs.

babalu..... No clue but it doesn't make much sense to me. I feel they put their (our) beer on a time line instead of letting the yeast do their thing and produce great beer. I was excited for this big brew but the half-a$$ness of it made me question if I'll participate next year.

Thank you for all your input!

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks829 View Post
Papper.... I don't want to bottle at that high a gravity for fear of bottle bombs.
You'll only have to worry about bottle bombs if fermentation isn't complete. I'd guess that it is.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
bja
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
You'll only have to worry about bottle bombs if fermentation isn't complete. I'd guess that it is.
+1
If the gravity hasn't moved in 6 months, I think it's safe to say that it's done.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

A beer that starts at 1.110 isn't one that's likely ever going to get down to a "normal" FG reading. Depending on the recipe, 70% could be as much attenuation as you'd expect. I'm guessing, as well, that since this was a RIS (designed to be sweetish and thick and chewy), there was probably a decent percentage of crystal malts (less-fermentable) in the recipe?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

My RIS is being bottled at 1.037 this weekend. I saw a recipe in a book that finishes at 1.043.

When it's done, it's done! If there are a lot of unfermentables, it's going to be a high FG!

No way around it. Just enjoy it.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd be more worried about the hot solventy flavors. I did an RIS last November that's still too alcoholey to enjoy. I'm close to just pouring it all out. I've read that the hotness doesn't dissipate with any surety or regularity and there's a only small chance of it ever going away.

Any specifics on the temps in the mash/primary? They could both lead to the hotness. You could always toss some Brett in there and hope for the best, and call it a wild RIS.

Quick Reply