New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What is Pacman supposed to taste like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What is Pacman supposed to taste like?

So I have used Pacman in two different brews, both american pale ales of different recipes. The first came out tasting very sour and kinda like spoiled milk. This led me to think it was a lactose infection. I sanitized with bleach, then acid, then cleaned with PBW, then sanitized with starsan. I have made 4 good brews since using pacman, all with the same equipment. Recently I decided to use Pacman again in a very simple recipe. Same exact taste in the outcome!! What the heck is going on? People rave about pacman but to me it tastes like spoiled milk.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Everyone likes it because its got a very low flavor profile and its high alcohol tolerance. It makes a good house strain, maybe your problem is something else

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Scoggin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i doubt it is the pacman. rogue brewery uses it as a house yeast, and none of their beers taste like sour milk. where are you getting it from?

a 'sour milk' flavor really seems like an infection. you may be harboring an infection somewhere in your system. hard to say where. if it were me, and it keeps happening, i would replace my plastic equipment, and/or really review my sanitation and cleaning practices

Last edited by Scoggin; 05-08-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
Greatwhite4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Similar to American Ale II in my opinion. Used it before without the results you've had.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
SterlingHopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm guessing your yeast culture got infected somewhere along the way, especially if you harvested it from a bottle.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

How are you harvesting the yeast? It is possible that there is a problem with your process? We need a little more info please.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default PacMan Taste...

PacMan is a very neutral yeast so there should not be any "taste" at all other than the hops and malt of the style/recipe.

I have brewed dozens of pilot batches using PM and have never encountered a sour milk taste or any real taste for that matter.

Re: PM being similar to AA2 - I disagree. AA2 is much frutier than PM not to mention the Chico strain. I love AA2 and use it often but it is a lot different than PM.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
Greatwhite4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was suggested to me as a replacement for pacman, used pacman before not aa2...yet... got three packs and some recipes to do this weekend...and a hefe to redo, unrelated to aa2 of course.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
WilliamWS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree that it doesn't taste like AA2 (my favorite for american ales). It is more attenuative and, when fermenting on the cool side, is very neutral. I actually feel like it kind of accentuates the flavor of the mineral content of your water but that could just be me.
When fermented warm pacman supposedly gives off some British yeast flavors, still not like AA2, though.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWS
I actually feel like it kind of accentuates the flavor of the mineral content of your water but that could just be me.
agreed! I love PM but this added mineral flavor has come through both times I've used it, in one case so much so that it takes the edge off of my hop profile. Guess it's time for a water profile report...

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Quick Reply