Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > what is this layer on top of my secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
LandoTheGambler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what is this layer on top of my secondary?

Hi everyone, this is my first post!

I've been brewing for about a year, and recently started all-grain batches. I haven't had any snags with a batch up until now, so I'm very curious as to what's happening with my latest batch. This is my second all-grain batch, and I did a pretty traditional style Kölsch. After 5 days in primary at 64 F and 9 days in secondary at 60 F, I moved it to my new fridge for a month of cold conditioning at 42-44 F. I'm two weeks into that month, and this thin, lighter-colored layer has settled on top. It doesn't look like there is anything growing on top, so I'm a bit flumoxed as to what it really is. Some of my guesses are a thin layer of the healthier Kölsch ale yeast floating along doing their thing (since it is top-fermenting, after all), or maybe alcohol settling out (this doesn't make as much sense to me, but like I said, I'm guessing). I've included a profile photo to help with the diagnosis -- can anyone help me figure out what this is?

Thanks a bunch!
Wade

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeast, proteins, hops, other particulates, it will clear and settle.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
LandoTheGambler
Recipes 

A much delayed thanks! to you COLObrewer. That eased my mind enough to wait the month or so that it took to indeed settle out.

I guess I was just surprised at how sharp the gradient shift was between the two layers, but like you said, it all settled out and the beer was fantastic tasting, if I do say so myself. Here's a photo of the finished product, the first recipe of mine that I will absolutely have to brew again soon:

img_2254.jpg  

Old 02-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good on you sir!

Quick Reply