The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > This is what internal temps do with no temp control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
pelipen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Default This is what internal temps do with no temp control

I pitched my wild yeast into a brown. The other half is under control with Roeselare. I wanted to see how far above ambient temp active fermentation will go, so I was willing to let this run wild.

I keep reading "3 degrees", so I thought I'd test it. This might produce a headache beverage, but we'll in a few months.

As you can see, at peak, there was almost a 5 degree difference from the ambient midpoint. The zigzag room temp is because of a heater to keep the room livable. Of course, this is for a specific volume, pitch rate, oxygenation rate, and ambient temp, but it's probably indicative of most.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
hopmonster2189
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Awesome it's good to see some real data once in a while. Do you think a swamp cooler would keep the internal temps under the supposed "3 degree above ambient" mark?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It is hard to predict what the temperature difference is going to be - way to many external variables. If you ferment in a closed closet, you will get very different results than if you ferment in a very open room with good air circulation. In my basement right now, my fermentors tend to run about 2 F over air temp

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 343

I assume the ferm temp reading was from a probe, so measuring the internal temp. I'd be interested to see a third line representing the temp reading on the exterior of the fermenter (typical fermometer reading). Curious what the measured difference would be between the fermometer and the actual internal temp.

goo-gone Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Nice plot! Thanks for sharing this. A water bath will match the temperature of the fermentation within one degree in my experience. The temperature stability of 5 gallons of beer in 5 gallons of water is also very good. I'll have to look for my data logs, but I would be surprised if the fermentation temperature gets more than three degrees about air temperature in a water bath.

See here for details
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...e-control.html
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...mp-cooler.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
Curious what the measured difference would be between the fermometer and the actual internal temp.
I've plotted that before and they are almost identical. Less than a degree of difference.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Nice info, pelipen! Seems a lot of folks think the temp rises much higher than your info shows, and I'm sure given the right circumstances they may be right.

Personally, I've found it hard to buy into a 15deg increase...

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
pelipen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster2189 View Post
Awesome it's good to see some real data once in a while. Do you think a swamp cooler would keep the internal temps under the supposed "3 degree above ambient" mark?
I've done a lot of graphs with swamp coolers, and yes they are very effective at controlling your temps. There is so much thermal mass in the water bath, that it's easy to keep the internal heat from running away. The churning of the wort during active fermentation equalizes temps very well. The only downside to swamp coolers is that they require more hands on, and a lot of water.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
hopmonster2189
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Roger that I figured they were pretty efficient. The large mass of water can be a pain sometimes, but its worth it.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
pelipen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
I've plotted that before and they are almost identical. Less than a degree of difference.
I can confirm this with another graph.

The portion of this graph to look at is the section to the right of the veritcal line on the far right:
The light blue line is a probe attached to the side, with insulation around the outside to protect from ambient temps.

The green line is the internal temp, with the probe directly opposite the external prob maybe 1 cm from the wall. The difference is negligible. You can see the waves in the light blue line due to the glass temp changes having some influence on the reading.

For all intents and purposes, "fermometers" are only limited by their accuracy with the chemical change to produce color, and your ability to interpret.

Quick Reply