New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What happens to yeast when pitching at 88 deg?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
AshevilleRob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What happens to yeast when pitching at 88 deg?

Hey all,
Newbie HBer here.
I couldn't cool my wort quickly and had to wait and wait and wait until it was at a temp I felt was moderately safe to pitch my yeast. Will pitching a packet of Wythe dry yeast at 88-90 degrees kill them? FYI, I'm brewing a very hoppy IPA if that makes a difference. Many thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

no that temp wont kill them but it will cause the yeast to throw off alot more esters (fruit, banana) and some fusels (harsh alcohol, solvent) flavors. I'd cool it <70F

Old 06-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
AshevilleRob
Recipes 

Thanks DCP! I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe the esters will complement my Columbus and Hallertau hops...
'Solvent' flavors sound scary.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

its best to get your temps down to the proper level. but i'm sure your beer will be just fine. this is by far not the worst thing that could have happend.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

its possible it could complement it, but at those levels you're going to get way too many unexpected flavors and fusels can easily overpower a beer. time will clean them up a bit, but id get it <70 asap. in the future, id recommend waiting to pitch til you're at the proper range. as long as your properly cleanend & sanitized, the wort is ok to sit for some time sealed before pitching.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's going to taste like "homebrew" and by that, I mean the negative flavors that most people attribute to a homebrewed beer when it's not handled properly. Pitching at 75 is too hot, nevermind 88.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Get the pot in the sink (or bathtub, if it won't fit) and fill it (the sink, not the pot) with cold water. It'll cool right down quick. If your tap water isn't cold enough, get the frozen peas outta the freezer and throw those in (the sink again, not the pot) too.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

My first batch I pitched way too hot. It did have that "homebrew" flavor Bobby_M refers to, but that eventually went away after an extra month of bottle conditioning. It was a porter, though; a more mild style might have suffered more.

I think the problems with pitching hot are sometimes exaggerated -- in my limited experience, it's more important that the first 72 hours of fermentation are at a controlled temp, which is related to pitch temp since you can get runaway temps and have trouble cooling it if you pitch hot... but really, it's not going to totally ruin your beer, and it's certainly not going to kill the yeast. Don't sweat this one, try harder to get it cooler before pitching next time.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
AshevilleRob
Recipes 

Thanks for taking the time to respond everyone! I'm going to remain positive that my first batch will be quaffable. With much appreciation - Cheers!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 2486

It will add a great deal of banana flavor to the brew.. and not in a good way.

I have a light ale that tastes like sour bananas. I'm hoping that it will mellow out with time, but I'm not counting on it. Perhaps with your hoppier beer it won't be as pronounced.

But definitely listen to these guys.. get those temps under 70F before pitching.. even if you have to wait a day or two.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.
AshevilleRob Likes This 

Quick Reply