The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > what happened to my krausen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
pope86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what happened to my krausen

I have been home brewing offand on for a year, usually I am the flavor and aroma person and my roommate does all the calculations and tech aspects. I did my first solo brew last night for a contest coming up in 2 months in my area.

After chilling the wort and putting it in the carboy I pitched my liqiud yeast (belgian ale) and added 2.5 gallons water to the carboy. The water was 75 degrees F and the liquid yeast I had let warm on its own, I didn't soke the vial in warm water.

There was a good foam on it after I put my plug and bubbler on and within hours there was no krausen but a large pile of yeast on the bottom already. I am afraid that my reciepe may have had more sugars than the ale yeast could handle.

SO what I need help trying to figure out is whether it was just a very fast acting batch or if it fizzled out prematurely...i diden't get an OG on it though so my mistake.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Was there ever really a krausen, or was there just foam from the initial pouring and any aeration? How may hours is "within hours"? It can take several hours to exit the lag phase and get into active fermentation.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
pope86
Recipes 

that was probably just the foam from the pouring but belgian ale yeast is top fermenting isn't it? Shouldn't I get a krausen. And I was seeing some motion and activity in the bottom of the carboy within 3 hours.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It can take up to 3 days for fermentation to take off. Especially since it doesn't sound like you made a starter.

Relax....everything will be fine in the right time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 796 Posts

fwiw, what you saw on the bottom was most likely break material that dropped out of suspension, as it is wont to do...

Cheers!

Quick Reply