Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What Happened To My Beer?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
hermanthegerman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What Happened To My Beer?!?!

I brewed my first AG batch on Saturday, and pitched it with a 800mL starter. It is a blonde ale. It was fermenting like crazy for a while, and then just stopped a couple of days ago. I actually had to put a blow-off tube on the air lock because I had foam coming out of my airlock. I looked yesterday, and it looks like my beer is getting a little bit of a green tint to it. Whats going on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

probably nothing , post a picture, but in reality the beer will undergo lots of color changes. Once it starts to clear you will notice that it looks darker than you intended, that is fine, it will look this way in a carboy.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm... dont recall reading about green tint in either Palmer's or Papazian's books. There's probably nothing wrong. If you had furious krausen and required a blow off tube for a few days it sounds like everything went well. Most of my ale fermentations will be active (krausen or foam) for about 3 to 6 days. After about day 4 or 5 the foam starts to subside.

RDWHAHB. Leave it alone. Check again in a few days when you're ready to rack and/or take a hydrometer sample for FG.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Nothing wrong, fermentations just doing it's thing...it's probably done with the most dynamic part of it, but that doesn't mean the yeast if finished with the job...

And the "green tint" is just you paranoia acting up....and maybe some hopscum floating to the surface.

RDWHAHB....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
hermanthegerman
Recipes 

I tried to get a pic, but it didn't do the color justice. Reading all of this makes me feel A LOT better. Thanks for all of the opinions!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with the previous posts. It's also quite possible that as the beer clears, the way it refracts light is changing in such a way that your lighting (fluorescent, perhaps?) is casting a tint in the beer that it did not when cloudy.

So yes. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Quick Reply