Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What is Forbidden Fruit really good for?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default What is Forbidden Fruit really good for?

Ok folks, I have a dilemma. I recently started slanting yeast and like most beginning yeast ranchers, I wanted as diverse a yeast library as I could muster, and I figured this meant getting all types of yeast I could find. I recently realized that re-propagating every 6-8 months (as I've found I need for good viability) makes keeping tons of strains on hand a PITA! I want to get it to a core base of strains that will make banking more manageable.

Anyway, I've been carrying around this strain, Forbidden Fruit, from a discounted Wyeast (outdated pack sale) for many months without every using it for brewing a batch, and I don't plan on using it too soon. I know that this yeast is described as a Belgian wit yeast, but what else can it ferment well? I am looking to trim down my bank, and I already have Abby Ale and Belgian saison, and am just wondering if it is worth it to have a strain hanging around for a particular type of beer that I don't plan on brewing anytime soon.

I need some anecdotal tales of Forbidden Fruit gone good in more than just a wit. Are there any?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Wit.

It's apparently one of Hoegaarden's yeasts and goes very well in a wit. It's funky and a bit tart. It allows a wit that has some spice additions - I used bitter orange peel, coriander and grains of paradise - to be more balanced with other flavours.

I prefer it to WY3944 for a wit.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
caiafa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tripels go well with forbidden fruit as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
william2010
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a question about fruit. I am making a batch of skeeter pee and I added one pound of frozen raspberries to my primary. Just curious does anyone know if they will go bad? Or does fermentation prevent that

Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010 View Post
I have a question about fruit. I am making a batch of skeeter pee and I added one pound of frozen raspberries to my primary. Just curious does anyone know if they will go bad? Or does fermentation prevent that
How does this have anything to do with the topic at hand?
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by edecambra View Post
Ok folks, I have a dilemma. I recently started slanting yeast and like most beginning yeast ranchers, I wanted as diverse a yeast library as I could muster, and I figured this meant getting all types of yeast I could find. I recently realized that re-propagating every 6-8 months (as I've found I need for good viability) makes keeping tons of strains on hand a PITA! I want to get it to a core base of strains that will make banking more manageable.

Anyway, I've been carrying around this strain, Forbidden Fruit, from a discounted Wyeast (outdated pack sale) for many months without every using it for brewing a batch, and I don't plan on using it too soon. I know that this yeast is described as a Belgian wit yeast, but what else can it ferment well? I am looking to trim down my bank, and I already have Abby Ale and Belgian saison, and am just wondering if it is worth it to have a strain hanging around for a particular type of beer that I don't plan on brewing anytime soon.

I need some anecdotal tales of Forbidden Fruit gone good in more than just a wit. Are there any?
Why not maintain frozen stocks instead of slants?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #7
NcBrewer35
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I keep about 12+ strains on hand in slants. I don's find it to be that much of a pain at all. I keep 2 slants of every strain so that I always have a backup. What might make my process easier is that I have roughly 50 1 dram vials that I got at discountvials.com. I think I paid a little over $25 for them. With 50 slants pre-made I simply re-slant my slanted yeast on the other half of my slants. So I only have to make my slants once a year.

This has worked well for me for the past 10 years. I only re-culture about 3-4 times before I go back to the original source of yeast for my slants. This ensures I keep a fairly un-mutated state of each yeast strain.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

edecambra, did you ever find something cool to do with the forbidden fruit?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Ha, not yet. I might play around with using it in my Saison recipe, as the Belgian Saison strain I am using now is too finicky for my tastes (although it sure is tasty). I might also use it in some beers like Belgian pale, etc too. If I do, I'll report back with my results. I almost want to keep it just for the name, it sounds so mysterious.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #10
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Works great for the Grand Cru Cuvee Van De Keizer clone...

Quick Reply