Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What do you do with the "Starter Beer"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Scuba_Stan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What do you do with the "Starter Beer"?

I was wondering what everyone did with the decanted "Starter Beer"? After they pitched the yeast from the starter.

Anyone try to bottle it and drink it?

Maybe Mix it in with a different batch of beer to blend it?

Feed it to the Alligators in the sewers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Stan
I was wondering what everyone did with the decanted "Starter Beer"? After they pitched the yeast from the starter.

Anyone try to bottle it and drink it?

Feed it to the Alligators in the sewers?
Mine seeds my septic tank - given I use a stir plate, oxidized, hopless, 2row only beer isn't something that fits into any style I drink! That said, I just stated pressure canning starters so I can add cooked corn flavored to the mix!
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I've made malt vinegar, by adding some of my mother culture. It came out "ok" but I probably won't do it again.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Stan View Post
That's classic!

I tasted it once..... not the best idea I've ever had. I dump it down the drain, it's kind of a 'first step' on the morning of a brew day.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
ersheff
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've only made a few starters so far, but I pitch the whole thing!
Actually, my starters may not be true starters, per se.
For the few 5 gallon batches I've made over the last several months that had a high OG, I basically just smacked the Wyeast pack the day before, pitched it into about a quart of low gravity wort (just some boiled DME and water), put it in a growler with foil over the top and let it run for about 24 hours before pitching into the full batch the next day. Just swirl it up and dump it all in there. Seems to have worked fine so far. The yeast definitely get some work done over those 24 hours as it gets fizzy and smells yeasty.
It's such a low volume that I doubt it changes the beer much, and I figure I'm just adding more of the same (water, malt) to the full batch.
The only times I've needed blow off tubes were after making starters this way (as opposed to just pitching the contents of the smack pack or dry yeast envelope). So it definitely gets them going, I guess.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Since it doesn't have any hops in it, often it is sourish tasting, or oxydized if it's been on a stir plate or shaken a lot, or it is simply yeasty, in other words, although we call it a "starter beer" it really isn't all that pleasant to want to drink, or smell for that matter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the alligator idea; the yeast should help treat their fleas. You could use it as the liquid portion of bread dough, or water some plants.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Why not add some hops and make a table beer out of your starters?
I've cold crashed starters (with ~5-10IBUs) and decanted the beer into 2 liter bottles and added sugar to prime and turned out drinkable beer. Not my best, but suitable for drinking. Granted, I don't use a stir plate, only intermittent shaking, so perhaps less oxidation. Also, I've made 2 gallon starters in the carboy, cold crashed and decanted that beer and racked my next 1.100+/- batch onto the cake.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I toss the spent starter wort before making a slurry from the yeast and a small amount of starter wort that remains (1/8-1/4" above the yeast cake). I want my BEER to taste exactly as I design it, and I don't want to have to offset some nasty spent starter flavors. I've been using either my 2L or 3L flask for the starters, so not really enough to do much with otherwise.

I might start using them to feed plants. Or maybe put it into a jar to go to the family compost heap (along with spent grain) once I've moved. If I'm lucky, I might even start a compost heap/bin where I move to.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersheff View Post
I've only made a few starters so far, but I pitch the whole thing!
Actually, my starters may not be true starters, per se.
For the few 5 gallon batches I've made over the last several months that had a high OG, I basically just smacked the Wyeast pack the day before, pitched it into about a quart of low gravity wort (just some boiled DME and water), put it in a growler with foil over the top and let it run for about 24 hours before pitching into the full batch the next day. Just swirl it up and dump it all in there. Seems to have worked fine so far. The yeast definitely get some work done over those 24 hours as it gets fizzy and smells yeasty.
It's such a low volume that I doubt it changes the beer much, and I figure I'm just adding more of the same (water, malt) to the full batch.
The only times I've needed blow off tubes were after making starters this way (as opposed to just pitching the contents of the smack pack or dry yeast envelope). So it definitely gets them going, I guess.
I do this as well at the suggestion of another HBT member and no ill effects to my beer to date. Guinness is allegedly 3% soured beer and Mosher indicates this is a desired complexity. Maybe not appropriate for all styles but also doubt it affects it that much.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Quick Reply