Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What to do w/ Bell's house yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 717 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default What to do w/ Bell's house yeast?

So I made my first attempt at bottle-harvesting. I chose a low-grav Bell's beer and everything went perfectly. Over the course of about two weeks, I slowly stepped up the yeast to about 1 quart.

I really did it just to see how the bottle-harvest process works and didn't have a brew planned. Since I don't have any brews on deck, I just washed it and wound up with 3 pint Mason jars, each with a nice amount of Bell's House yeast.

I've done some reading about this yeast's properties, but am interested in others' input on how this yeast behaves. I hear that, up around 70-72, it throws off those awesome fruity, pineapple-y esters that make Oberon into Oberon. Does anyone else have any experience of how this yeast works at low temps? Mid 60s? Upper 60s?

Thanks all! And I'll be sure to post my results from my own experiments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
So I made my first attempt at bottle-harvesting. I chose a low-grav Bell's beer and everything went perfectly. Over the course of about two weeks, I slowly stepped up the yeast to about 1 quart.

I really did it just to see how the bottle-harvest process works and didn't have a brew planned. Since I don't have any brews on deck, I just washed it and wound up with 3 pint Mason jars, each with a nice amount of Bell's House yeast.

I've done some reading about this yeast's properties, but am interested in others' input on how this yeast behaves. I hear that, up around 70-72, it throws off those awesome fruity, pineapple-y esters that make Oberon into Oberon. Does anyone else have any experience of how this yeast works at low temps? Mid 60s? Upper 60s?

Thanks all! And I'll be sure to post my results from my own experiments.
I've used it twice now, on THA clones. I pitch at 64 and ramp up gradually to 70 at 3 weeks. It seems to work well in the mid 60's if I pitch a healthy starter. You'll like it.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 717 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Sweet. Thanks!

Quick Reply