Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What to do with my infected beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
commonsenseman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default What to do with my infected beer?

I posted this in the infection picture thread.

Quote:
Here's what my Bourbon Barrel Porter (from Northern Brewer) looked like coming out of primary:

Here's what it looks like right now after five days in secondary:

I'm ridiculously careful with sanitation too, so I dunno how this could've happened. I racked very carefully from under the first "thing", being careful not to transfer any of it.
Now I'm wondering what I should do with it. I'm supposed to be adding 16oz of Bourbon & oak cubes to it in a couple weeks.

I'm thinking that I may continue as planned, but add a few campden tablets to try to stop the wild yeast. Then a week later, re-pitch & bottle. Any thoughts? Will that work, or am I just wasting my time? Should I just bottle it & drink it quickly?

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Was it AG? How do you know it's infected? Have you ever made a bourbon porter before...could it be the normal after effects of krauesen you're seeing? I've never made a b.p. before and have never had an infection so I don't know what an infection looks like. The sides of your primary look like you've had a normal primary fermentation.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

That does look like an infection, although I am not sure what kind. I would be very careful with bottling, since certain wild yeasts and bacteria will ferment a beer out completely, increasing the odds of bottle bombs.

I would probably just let it ride and see how it turns out. It might be a nice, tangy historic stout, it might turn into malt vinegar. In the latter case, you can always use it for cooking.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

MacGruber:

It's extract. I'm pretty sure it's infected because it looks just like other pictures of infected beer I've seen. It's like spiderwebs on the surface. Granted I'm pretty new at this, but it sure doesn't seem right to me. The primary looked pretty normal, except for those bubbles looking kinda weird.

I'm just wondering if there's any way to stop wild yeast once it's taken hold. I figured adding Sulfites would stop them, then re-pitching later at bottling time would get some healthy yeast back in there. Dunno if that would work though.

ArcaneXor:

So you'd continue with the bourbon/oak & bottle as normal? I'm terrified of something like that growing in the bottles.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post

ArcaneXor:

So you'd continue with the bourbon/oak & bottle as normal? I'm terrified of something like that growing in the bottles.
If you can't keg, I would delay bottling and see what it does (gravity and taste-wise).
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah I'd taste it first before using the oak cubes.

Whatever it tastes like now, in terms of 'funk' or 'sour' is going to increase as it ages, especially if its not kept cold/serving temps.

Its sad when you have to dump a keg...hopefully its not too off, and salvagable.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll taste it & take a gravity reading tonight. Would campden tablets help keep it in check?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

that's infection. i'd dump it.

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 05-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never had an infection that looked like that, but I just dumped an infected porter a couple of weeks ago. It tasted funky at 1 week and downright nasty at 3 weeks in the fermenter. Why tie up money and equipment with a batch that probably won't recover and only get worse.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What did you do in your primary? What were your steps?

I'd hazard a guess that the primary was where whatever it was took hold. Racking out from under it would have had a chance to leave it behind, but it's not too likely. Just a little bit grows.

I don't believe it's yeast at all. Wild yeast acts like normal yeast. (*edit: I mean just yeast as Saccharomyces, compared to a combination of Lactobacillus /brett/pedio which are bacteria and are often included with wild yeasts.)

No matter what it is, I'd probably wait and see before tossing it. Check out the lambic threads since people do who knows what to their beers to get it looking like that. Also see http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-1.html

Quick Reply