What to do with my infected beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
So...after waiting it out a few months, I've finally come to the conclusion that my Oktoberfest has an infection. It's got some sour notes that really don't sit well with the beer.

On that note, I'd like to see what I can do to salvage the beer. Im thinking of racking it back into the fermentor and letting it sit for another 6 months. Then possibly racking on top of about 10lbs of cherries and see where it leaves me. I'm just not sure how well cherries would work with a soured oktoberfest.

Any suggestions? I'll keep everyone posted as to how it turns out.

Soured cherry beer is certainly a possibility. I guess the hope would be for a passable kriek. It would be an investment in all those cherries for just a hope that it fixes a problem.

Take it to your homebrew club meeting and give everyone full pints. Do this monthly (or whatever) until it's gone. Or until you're kicked out. Whichever comes first.

I never thought of that. :D

I need to join a homebrew club to get rid of the beers that I get tired of.

Take it to your homebrew club meeting and give everyone full pints. Do this monthly (or whatever) until it's gone. Or until you're kicked out. Whichever comes first.

HA! I love this idea.

Soured cherry beer is certainly a possibility. I guess the hope would be for a passable kriek. It would be an investment in all those cherries for just a hope that it fixes a problem.

The investment issue was also a concern of mine. I think this beer, since it's already concidered a flop, will be getting a healthy dose of flavor extract. I'm always 100% against this in my drinkable beers....but since I don't want to put money into something that may not work, I'm willing to try it. I suppose one benefit of this is that I won't have to allow it to age on the extract.

The only problem here is...if I find out it makes a great recipe, how do I repeat it?

Latest posts

Back