Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What to do with my infected beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What to do with my infected beer?

So...after waiting it out a few months, I've finally come to the conclusion that my Oktoberfest has an infection. It's got some sour notes that really don't sit well with the beer.

On that note, I'd like to see what I can do to salvage the beer. Im thinking of racking it back into the fermentor and letting it sit for another 6 months. Then possibly racking on top of about 10lbs of cherries and see where it leaves me. I'm just not sure how well cherries would work with a soured oktoberfest.

Any suggestions? I'll keep everyone posted as to how it turns out.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
kanielb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

do that thing that we cant talk about on here to get get the alcohol out of it.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

I don't have the aparatus...and somehow I don't think that would work very well. It's a thought though.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Soured cherry beer is certainly a possibility. I guess the hope would be for a passable kriek. It would be an investment in all those cherries for just a hope that it fixes a problem.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take it to your homebrew club meeting and give everyone full pints. Do this monthly (or whatever) until it's gone. Or until you're kicked out. Whichever comes first.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I never thought of that.

I need to join a homebrew club to get rid of the beers that I get tired of.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #7
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnedMonkey View Post
Take it to your homebrew club meeting and give everyone full pints. Do this monthly (or whatever) until it's gone. Or until you're kicked out. Whichever comes first.
HA! I love this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Soured cherry beer is certainly a possibility. I guess the hope would be for a passable kriek. It would be an investment in all those cherries for just a hope that it fixes a problem.
The investment issue was also a concern of mine. I think this beer, since it's already concidered a flop, will be getting a healthy dose of flavor extract. I'm always 100% against this in my drinkable beers....but since I don't want to put money into something that may not work, I'm willing to try it. I suppose one benefit of this is that I won't have to allow it to age on the extract.

The only problem here is...if I find out it makes a great recipe, how do I repeat it?

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply