Westmalle tripel + Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fesser

Reaction score
Hei there,

I'm new here. I guess this is not the proper place to introduce myself, but I'd like to say hi to everyone. Now let's get to the matter...

I have a rye IPA in primary fermenter (OG: 1.050 - CurrentG (and hopefully FG): 1.008) that I'm planning to leave going for two weeks or so, and then dry hop for a week, cold crash for 3 days and bottle. Current temperature is around 70 degrees. Can I drop temperature to around 55-57 degrees to do the secondary stage?
I used WLP001 CALIFORNIA ALE to ferment.

After Christmas I'll be brewing a Westmalle Tripel clone. I'll be using Mangrove Jacks M27 (The recipe estimates OG: 1.088) Belgian Saison; this will be my first belgian style beer and I have a few questions:

1) I planned to do primary for about a month at 73 degrees and a couple of months at around 45-50 degrees, then bottle. Does it sound ok?

2) It will take around 3 months before bottling, would be wise to add some dry yeast at bottling time?

3) How long time is reasonable for the beer to age properly once bottled?

4) A beer normally carbonates in two weeks or so (though It doesn't mean that is finished conditioning), but, would it be possible to sink the temp to around 60 and still get them carbed up and conditioned?

5) Assuming correct storage conditions, how long does a homebrew last before it begins to lose its better flavour?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1). I have never used that yeast but it looks like your temp is too low.

Belgian Ale Yeast is an exceptional top-fermenting yeast creating highly characterful beers with spicy, fruity and peppery notes ideal for Belgian Saison or farmhouse style beer.

Suited for brewing all Belgian ales, including Quadruples of up to 14% ABV.

Attenuation: Very High

Flocculation: Medium

Usage Directions: Sprinkle contents directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. For best results, ferment at 26-32 degrees C (79-90 degrees F)

- See more at: http://mangrovejacks.com/collection...ts/belgian-ale-yeast-10g#sthash.iJu1O4vk.dpuf

It seeems like it is similar the the Dupont strain that likes it hot to ferment out fully.

2). Extra yeast is not really required. There still will be yeast to carbonate. You can add some if you want but ot necessary.

3) A couple of months is good. The daker Belgians I usually go about 4 months before drinking, but a tripel usually does not need as long. Just give it a couple of months and put a bottle in the fridge for a few days and taste it. If you like it you are good. But do leave a few aside to age.

And...what about temps in secondary? Would it be ok to let the temp sink to 55-60 degrees once primary stage is finished and racked to a secondary carboy?

And...what about temps in secondary? Would it be ok to let the temp sink to 55-60 degrees once primary stage is finished and racked to a secondary carboy?

Sure. Make sure the yeast is done fermenting before you rack to the secondary. Belgian yeasts can sometimes take a while to get the last few points of attenuation.

Back