Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Well darn "saving a pale ale"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Unless you are using a refractometer, I'm at a loss for what the issue might be. If you were using a refractometer it would explain the high FG reading and the beer not tasting sweet. (1.023 is equivalent to 3 teaspoons of sugar in a cup of coffee) In that case you would be at a corrected FG of 1.007 for an attenuation of 86% and an ABV of 5.6%.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxBrewer View Post
Thanks for the reply. Everything i pour though is a mesh screen. On top of that i use a cordless drill and i wine whip. My batches always has a tight thick foam when im done and pitch the yeast. It doesn't taste too sweet. Im betting that having to rack to a different primary didn't give it enough yeast. Even though i pitched a pack of Muttons, i should have pitched a pack of 05 instead. I guess im going to keg it and chalk it up to experience.
Did you make a starter prior to repitching the yeast? This isn't from experience, but from what I've read about reviving fermentations is that just adding a packet of dry yeast won't work since they aren't accustomed to the alcohol environment.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by biestie View Post
Did you make a starter prior to repitching the yeast? This isn't from experience, but from what I've read about reviving fermentations is that just adding a packet of dry yeast won't work since they aren't accustomed to the alcohol environment.
No i didn't. It did ferment some but the yest cake on the bottom wasn't as thick as 05.

It would have been fine had i not pushed the grommet through the lid. I wish my bucket lit was drilled for a stopper and not a grommit.

Picked up a Better bottle as my new primary. I will use my bucket for big beers and my 5 gal glass carboy for secondary/dry hop duties.

Quick Reply