Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Weighing yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
DHdriver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Weighing yeast starter

I made my first yeast starter yesterday with the fist yeast I washed. Of course I was worried that the yeast wasn't viable or I'd screw up the starter etc... I'm not using a stir plate, just shaking every time I walk by so krausen doesn't have much of a chance to form to see if things are working. I thought I'd try weighing it to see it's progress, and calculated it should loose about 30grams through fermentation, so far it's down about 15.
Is this a reasonable was to monitor a starters progress, I've seen the question asked a lot but haven't seen much of an answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Haha nice use of stoichiometry. To be honest I've never thought about it, but it should work. Most people just measure the gravity though.

You should see a good bit of CO2 come out of solution when you swirl it, and it should froth up a bit. At least I used to before I built my stir plate...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply