Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Washing Yeast : How important is the second settling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Beer-Baron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Washing Yeast : How important is the second settling?

Hello,

Just read on how to wash yeast. But I'm REALLY lazy . . .. Can I skip the second settling?

Could I just boil a pot with a couple of jars in it, then wait for it to cool, then dump the water in the bottom of the primary swish it around. Leave it for 30 minutes and then pour it into the jars and seal it?

Isn't that GOOD ENOUGH?

Please advise

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-Baron View Post
Hello,

Just read on how to wash yeast. But I'm REALLY lazy . . .. Can I skip the second settling?

Could I just boil a pot with a couple of jars in it, then wait for it to cool, then dump the water in the bottom of the primary swish it around. Leave it for 30 minutes and then pour it into the jars and seal it?

Isn't that GOOD ENOUGH?

Please advise

Thank you
You could skip it, but you would get a bunch of trub in the yeast. If you want a clean sample with mostly yeast, do the second settling. IMO it's not good enough when you skip the second step.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Beer-Baron
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the tip!!

I guess I'll do it. lol.

Quick Reply