Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Washing yeast-didn't separate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
dizzyfun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Washing yeast-didn't separate

Tried washing yeast last week for the first time. Trappist High Gravity yeast. I did the first couple steps.....add sterilized water, swish around, pour into quart jars to let separate. The first washing, I got a little sediment in the bottom. Poured out clear liquid and saved the sludge but threw out the bottom sediment of hop particles and grain bits. Washed again and put in fridge to help separate. This time I just get one layer of beige goo. Isn't there supposed to be a layer of whitish yeast? Did I do something wrong or is harvesting from a high gravity ale a no-no?

"The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain" ~ Freisste

"Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put a small hook in the end, just big enough to fit thru the hole in your bung." ~ Huesmann

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

It's all good yeast. Washing it removes 95% of the viable cells. Don't worry about separating the layers and just save a few mason jars of it.

for experimental results see this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/yeast-washing-revisited.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply