Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Washing WLP029

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
callback79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Washing WLP029

Anybody has luck washing WLP029 ?

I'm trying to wash this yeast but nothing seems to work. No layers, all the trub/yeast stick together. It separates from beer in a few minutes but can't isolate the yeast.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I have the same trouble with that yeast. EVERYTHING drops right away. Virtually no opaque separation of viable cells and dead trub. I've repitched enough of what id harvested and turned out a pretty good beer, I think.
Its a west coast styled red ale with a heavy dose of late addition fruity hops, it's a little green still and on the sharper side of hoppy. I'm not sure yet if a 2oz dose of high AA hops at flame out on a 10 gal batch with a "no chill" overnight cooling in a SS Keggle might have something to do with the sharp hop flavor, or perhaps that beast yeast was just angry from not being cleaned up. Though it was super fresh. Maybe 2 wks old. Awesome yeast, tho I'd love to know any tricks to cleaning that $hit up, if they're out there....

Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Just make a larger batch of starter and save some in the fridge for next time. I've got 3 going in my fridge, no washing hassle.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebucheron View Post
just make a larger batch of starter and save some in the fridge for next time. I've got 3 going in my fridge, no washing hassle.
+1

Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
callback79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingblackdoom View Post
I have the same trouble with that yeast. EVERYTHING drops right away. Virtually no opaque separation of viable cells and dead trub. I've repitched enough of what id harvested and turned out a pretty good beer, I think.
Its a west coast styled red ale with a heavy dose of late addition fruity hops, it's a little green still and on the sharper side of hoppy. I'm not sure yet if a 2oz dose of high AA hops at flame out on a 10 gal batch with a "no chill" overnight cooling in a SS Keggle might have something to do with the sharp hop flavor, or perhaps that beast yeast was just angry from not being cleaned up. Though it was super fresh. Maybe 2 wks old. Awesome yeast, tho I'd love to know any tricks to cleaning that $hit up, if they're out there....
Ok, so this is what I did. Put a little more boiled/cooled water than the amount I use normally. From this, I started to see layers after 20-25 minutes. Trub was on top. With a sanitized turkey baster, remove most of the top brownish layer. I did it 2-3 times for each jar.

It takes more steps, and I have hops residue in the yeast layer but I now have tons of WLP029.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
christpuncher123
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are careful enough, with a sanatized spoon you can scrape the yeast ring of the side of the bucket and pull out the clumps of yeast on the bottom. I just did this less than an hour ago, then I washed the rest of what was left on the bottom of the bucket as usual!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
callback79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is the result of my attempt to "wash" this yeast.

These are 1qt and 2qt jars, I now have 5 of these. Plenty of yeast for next batches.

Not perfect but not that bad.

img553.jpg  

Quick Reply